Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion Failure: "Unknown error returned by VMware Converter agent'

Hello,

Converting a file server with two physical hard drives. Both SATA, neither dynamic. Leaving all drive sizes 'as is' during the conversion.

Every time it starts in on drive D:, it fails right away with that 'unknown error'. It's only a 36GB drive with about 5GB of data on it.

This has been holding us up all day! Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Travis

Re: Conversion Failure: "Unknown error returned by VMware Converter agent'

Can you please post what you are getting in the Converter agent logs?
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

How much free space is on the drive you're running the conversion utility from?

Comment

I suggest booting the server from a VMware Converter CD and do a cold migration. That way, there is no need for an Agent.

Comment

hello,

the cold clone method via boot cd is being used already. if/when this is performed again the logs will be exported.

in the mean time, are there any other tips or suggestions?

thanx,

justin

Comment

Logs attached.

Thanks for helping us with this... it's the last part of the project that we need to get done.

-Travis
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi all,

I don't know if my experience can help.
              I was the same error message with VMWare converter and after deleting .vmx.lck file it work better

Regards

Comment

I had this error. I created Shadow craft image of the system and then build virtual machine by image of that sytem . I found this error was due to bad sector in hard drive. When I ran scan disk on problem server, there were bad sectors in it and I had to fix sectors. I tried again vmware convertable and it was working fine .

Comment

Working...
                X