No announcement yet.

extend vmdk file

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extend vmdk file

Hi, I have an esx server that has my windows 2000 sql server on it and my VIC is connected to the database

I want to extend my vmdk file for my sql server, but cannot do it from the client as i need to power off the sql server to extend this file

I logged in using the webconsole but cannot find a way to extend the drive using this

I have never used the console before so I would like some advice on how to extend the drive

thank you in advance

Re: extend vmdk file

update on this

i am trying to run vmkfstools -X size /vmfs/volumes/san1/sql server/name.vmdk

I have put in the correct syntax and when i run a list ls /vmfs/volumes/san1 I get a list of servers showing under san1, when I try to access sql server it says know such file or directory

can anyone help with this

I have sorted my problem, bit more research and used the latest standalone converter and just done a conversion and extended the file that way

This will give you the list of vm's you have currently running on you esx server

vmware-cmd -l

From there

vmkfstools -X <NEW SIZE (i.e. 20G)> <full path to>.vmdk

You do not need to use Converter to extend the file. If this is the system volume - then you will have to extend the partition with 3rd party tools or another vm
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

thanks, will keep this in mind for the future, the converter done the job for me as I had to get it done for this morning

the difference I could see is that it instead of the san name it gives a number for the san name,

I will test this out later

once again thanks for the Information, will come in handy