Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Physical host preserving MAC

Hello

I have a computer running Server 2003 that is dedicated to run a specific software which his license is hooked to it's physical MAC address.

I wish to convert this physical machine to a virtual one running under VMware server 2.0

Since i can't power-up the cloned virtual machine with a new MAC address that will cause license problems, i need a way to change the virtual machine's MAC address to the current physical machine before t starts.

I saw that since i use a bridged network card, i can't change the MAC address in any way except on the network card via OS.

My question are:

* How can i get my cloned virtual machine load with the spoofed MAC ?
    * Is there a way to change the virtual machine MAC address before it's OS loads ?
    * Can i start the virtual machine in safe mode with networking, change the network card MAC address and then restart it ?
    * Is there any place i can fix the bridged network card of the virtual machine within VMware server ?

10X for any advice

Re: Converting Physical host preserving MAC

Hi,

See if this helps: http://www.klcconsulting.net/Change_MAC_w2k.htm

Afaik, there is no way to change the MAC address before the OS starts because Mac spoofing changes the address on the registry key which overrides the burned- In address. Once the changes have been made just restart the OS and it should be Ok. The link above should give you more info.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Not sure about VMware Server, I know it's possible in ESX. Why not power up the clone without Network connection, make your changes, disconnect the real box, and connect the NIC on the clone?

Comment

Yes

Done that this way:

* Logged to the system in safe-mode with networking (without connection to the network).
        * Changed the physical network card MAC address.
        * Boot the machine and logged as an ordinary user.

The second issue, is that a way to configure and "see" a PCI communications card that is connected to the Host machine to the Guest VM.

10X again

Comment

Originally posted by avi_ei View Post

The second issue, is that a way to configure and "see" a PCI communications card that is connected to the Host machine to the Guest VM.

10X again
          nope - you can't pass specific PCI device access to guest operating systems
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X