Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to specify Block Size

Hello,

I found this thread, however I am still not comfortable with my level of understanding regarding how to set things up properly for my specific deployment.

I had seen the same info in the 'Configuration Maximums' document for ESX 3.5.

I have 3 servers, each with 2 250GB drive in RAID1.

The VMs will exist on the three servers locally until I add an iSCSI array in a 2-3 weeks, after which I will migrate all of the virtual machines to that.

My question is: Exactly where in the setup process do I specify the block size so that I can create drives for the VM's up to 1TB in size? On my current installs (different servers altogether) I can only create drives for my VM's that are 256GB max. I want to avoid this limitation on the current project.

Thanks in advance,

-Travis

EDIT: I assume I do this when creating the RAID1 volume, correct?
    Last edited by TravisB; 6th April 2009, 16:54.

Re: How to specify Block Size

You do this when you create your VMFS volumes you specify the block size during creation.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
      You do this when you create your VMFS volumes you specify the block size during creation.
      Great, thank you!

-Travis

Comment

Once iSCSI is in place, and you mount some storage, it'll be a setting when you rescan and import the storage. For now, how many VM's are you going to be running on the vmfs partition and how large are they?

Comment

Originally posted by masorrell View Post
          Once iSCSI is in place, and you mount some storage, it'll be a setting when you rescan and import the storage. For now, how many VM's are you going to be running on the vmfs partition and how large are they?

I'm rethinking some of my plans...

I have pretty simple VM needs, and more than enough hardware to pull it off:

3 companies, each with a W2k3 domain controller, a W2K3 BDC, and a file server. One company has 2 file servers. 7 VM's total.

That's it.

I have three Dell 2950's with 2x250GB drives in RAID1, and the iSCSI array with 8x1TB drives. I'm thinking of making two 4-drive RAID5 arrays and then buy and install a 9th drive as the hot spare.

I'm assuming it would be best to have the VM's themselves on the local storage, and the storage for the file servers on the array? I also need to be able to use the space on the array for backing up the VM's and ESX environment as well, so I'm not sure how to take that into consideration.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic. I can start a new one if need be.

Thanks for your interest in my plan,

-Travis

Comment

Working...
          X