No announcement yet.

ESX 3.5 U3 and VMI paravirtualization failure(CentOS)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX 3.5 U3 and VMI paravirtualization failure(CentOS)

I've been fighting with this for over a week now. I have an ESX server 3.5 with update 3 and I'm trying to run a CentOS5 guest in paravirtualization mode. So I compiled kernels 2.6.25, 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 using part of the config that was already in boot with the factory kernel - config-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5PAE. I enabled the options below....
    Also enabled Dynamic Ticks, and Highresolution timer support. I also added clocksource=acpi_pm divider=10 to the grub conf. The problem is when I boot the kernel with VMI checked it will boot up sometimes, but when I run the processor up to about 90% the system freezes so hard I cant shutdown the VM. So then I have to do vm-support -X <pid> to kill it. Sometimes the load doesnt have to reach 90% and it will freeze other times the system wont boot at all it just hangs at the following screen:
    Booting command-list
    Filesystem type is ext2fs ....
    kernel /bzimage-2.6.28 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet divider=10 clocksource=acpi_pm
    [Linux-bzImage, setup =0x3000, size=0x211ef0
    initrd /initrd=2.6.28.img
    [Linux-initrd @ 0x37cdf000, 0x3105f0 bytes]
    At this point and when the system freezes after operation or boot the CPU gets stuck at 100% usage and I have to use vm-support to kill it. Ive seen a couple posts with debian doing this and the fix seemed to be adding clocksource=acpi_pm. Ive tryed notsc nolapic on the boot line as well to no avail. Whats going on with this thing?

Re: ESX 3.5 U3 and VMI paravirtualization failure(CentOS)

Sorry, can't help you as I don't have in depth expertise on Linux or paravirtualization. I would suggest visiting the VMTN forums at VMware.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.