Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create New Server

Hi

One of the benefits of VMware is the ability to create new servers within minutes (or so i've been told), I have downloaded the free version installed on a Windows server 2003 O/S. On this software i can not see how this is done, is this ability only available on the paid for version, or am i blind.

Thanks

Ric

Re: Create New Server

Not in the free edition. You need vCenter Server for that.

Comment

I thought so, many thanks for your help.

Ric

Comment

You can sorta do this in a work around way...

Create a "base" virtual machine that you'll use as the "template" only powering it up when you need to make changes. Then copy that for each new machine. You'll have to use newsid or sysprep to regenerate the system name and sid. You can also use the free VMware convertor to create a "clone" of a system.
        GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Hi

Further to investigations, i have now downloaded and installed Vmware ESX 3.5 on a 60 day eval. Now this is a neat product, However i am still looking for this option to create a Virtual Server in minutes, which Garen states i need Vcenter for,

This product is also available for 60 day eval, so i've downloaded the ISO image.

Now my question is , does this install on the physical server i have already installed the ESX 3.5 on or does it need a separate new physical server,

Vmware offer no pre sales support on eval products so its down to you guys

Thanks and Regards

Richard

Comment

The "approved" method is indeed to use vCentre to create templates and machines from those templates. However it can be a complete overkill if that is all you need it for!

Here's how I do it without vCentre. It's a bit more complicated to start off with but new servers take about 20 mins to build now including joining to the domain etc.

Hope it's useful.
            This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Thanks Grey cat

Thats a cool method, well done some digging, and it appears virtualcenter is installed on a separate server, some even install it on a Virtual server within ESX

which is exactly what i'm doing. Thought the point of virtualisation was to reduce the amount of servers!

Richard

Comment

you are very welcome.

I thought the same thing but it's only reduced the number of physical servers for us and the total number of servers has actually gone up. Mind you, I'd much rather look after 5 servers that only do one thing well each than one server that does 5 things badly.
                This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Originally posted by graycat View Post
                  The "approved" method is indeed to use vCentre to create templates and machines from those templates. However it can be a complete overkill if that is all you need it for!

Here's how I do it without vCentre. It's a bit more complicated to start off with but new servers take about 20 mins to build now including joining to the domain etc.

Hope it's useful.
                  Echo... echo...
                  GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Hi

Well i installed Vcenter on one of my virtual servers! mind you it had to be a 2003 server,

Vcenter is fantastic, works a treat, clones, imports, converts (thats a great one!!) deploys, brilliant.

I have one question though, when in Vcenter you convert an existing PC/Server to a virtual one, does VMWare do a sysprep for you ?

Well i'm carying on playing with this, cant wait to get it for real.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X