No announcement yet.

regarding vmware esx backup and restore

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regarding vmware esx backup and restore

hello there,

i am totally new in virtualization. recently i have to do a small for my company where they have microsoft 2003 small business server in Dell. they want to deploy their physical machine with 3 guest hosts with seperate VLAN with the host esx 3.5. so on my small idea i have planned to use vmware converter to make MS 2003 into vmware esx and then backup to any other system in the same LAN where i already installed vmware esx. after that i want to install again the whole dell system with esx and make 3 guest host and recover that backup esx in one guest host. now my questions are:
    1) whether there will be any issue regarding DC (domain controller) when converting into esx
    2)what should i do when i want to recover that backup into one guest host (because all will be different VLAN)
    3) rest of these two whether there will be any there issue as well?

i would be really appreciate if somebody can give the guideline.

Re: regarding vmware esx backup and restore

1. Converting a DC (or in this case SBS server) is possible, but not as straight forward as it mat seem. Look at the vmware forums for more info (example example
    2. How will you be doing your backup and restore?
    3. The other two servers should be no problem
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!