No announcement yet.

Dual ESXi 3.5 server + iSCSI: import VM's?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual ESXi 3.5 server + iSCSI: import VM's?

I've setup openfiler in iSCSI, and connected successfully to it from both of my ESXi servers.

I made a test VM from "esx1" and placed the virtual hard drive on the iscsi drive.

Installed VM fine, updated it, then powered it down.

From "esx2" I browsed the iscsi datastore, right click on test.vmx and select "Add to inventory" - which works fine.

Then, 10 seconds later, it gets unregistered.

What's odd is, "root" registered the vm. "vpxuser" unregisters it 10 seconds later.

The only thing I can think, is I'm testing out the Virtual Center demo. Could that be interfering? I can migrate hosts quickly via the iscsi though.

So much for my dreams of a poor mans vmotion.

Re: Dual ESXi 3.5 server + iSCSI: import VM's?

Th smae VM cannot be registered on two different hosts at the same time.

Before moving from esx1 to esx2 you will have to "remove from Inventory" on esx1 and then "Add to inventory" on esx2

If you are using Virtual Center, why are you working directly with the hosts?
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Re: Dual ESXi 3.5 server + iSCSI: import VM's?

well that just ... makes total sense.

I'm evaluating virtual center right now, but for the past 5 months or so I've been connecting directly to the hosts. I'm not sure if we're going to go ahead and make the purchase just yet, so I wanted to make sure I could do it without virtual center.

Thank you very much for your reply!

+1 rep from me