No 'Create Snapshot' menu option - VMW Server 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 'Create Snapshot' menu option - VMW Server 2

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to, but getting along pretty well with VMWare Server v2. I have a VM that I use for an XP sandbox. I created a snapshot some time back and have been reverting after each run. Enough time has passed that I'm missing critical MS Updates, etc so I want to replace my snapshot. I've read Server won't allow you to save multiple snapshots (workstation will). I don't want to save multiple snapshots. I just want to merge my current changes into the image, dispose of the current snapshot, then create a new one.

The problem is the only menu option I have in the 'Summary | Commands | Snapshot' tree is 'Revert to Snapshot'. I don't have create or remove.

When I shut the XP image/system down I only get the options to revert or 'Just shutdown'.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again!

- Robert

Re: No 'Create Snapshot' menu option - VMW Server 2

Once you have taken a snapshot of the VM you should have th option of revert, take snapshot, or delete snapshot.

See screenshot below. if that is not the case - do you have vmware tools installed and up to date in the VM?

If all else fails there is always the command line that can help you out.

Code:
    vmware-cmd /?
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thank you for your reply Maish. And I appreciate you taking the time to include the screenshot, because it confirms to me that it actually *can* show this menu, but for some reason it is not available on my system. Any idea why? See my screenshot:

So I tried to find vmware-cmd, but after some research it looks like it has been replaced by vmrun. "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VIX\vmrun.exe" on my system.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the command right. I think this is close but I still get an error:

vmrun -T server -h https://dellgx280:8333/sdk -u myuser -P mypassword deletesnapshot "E:\VMW\XPSandbox(VMW)\XPSandbox(VMW).vmx"
      Error: Unknown error

Note when I go to https://dellgx280:8333/sdk in IE on that PC I get a Certificate not issued by a trusted authority warning. To avoid the a I use this url on my system (it's local anyway): http://dellgx280:8222/sdk

So here is my attempt to use the vmrun command with the non-https URL (same error):

vmrun -T server -h http://dellgx280:8222/sdk -u myuser -P mypassword deletesnapshot "E:\VMW\XPSandbox(VMW)\XPSandbox(VMW).vmx"
      Error: Unknown error

[UPDATE]
      In doing more research on it I found out 3 things.
      1) The the menu at the top of the Web Access page includes options for "Virtual Machine | Snaphot" with all 3 Take, Revert & Remove Snapshot options (unlike my "Commands" panel). But both Take and Remove are disabled (greyed out).
      2) I've seen some posts about Take and Remove being disabled that say you much shut down the Guest OS first. I have. Plus I've rebooted the host just to be sure nothing was hanging on.
      3) I did not realize the "Administration| Manage Roles" would allow m to setup my user with "Full control". I assumed I was an Administrator of Guests by default. So I added myself to the Administrators group. But this did not change my problem. "Remove" is still disabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your time!

- Robert
      Last edited by graylint; 22nd February 2009, 15:47.

Comment

What is your Host OS?

Can you list the folder structure of your vm folder please?
        Maish
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Sure Maish.

My host (and guest in this case) is Win XP Pro.

My VM is in: "E:\VMW\XPSandbox\"

The contents are:

nvram --- 8,684
          vmware-0.log --- 37,219
          vmware-1.log --- 52,860
          vmware-2.log --- 51,842
          vmware.log --- 38,259
          XPSandbox(VMW)-000001.vmdk --- 2,704,343,040
          XPSandbox(VMW)-Snapshot1.vmem --- 536,870,912
          XPSandbox(VMW)-Snapshot1.vmsn --- 25,744,343
          XPSandbox(VMW).vmdk --- 4,845,142,016
          XPSandbox(VMW).vmsd --- 489