Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Virtual Center Installation Queastions

Hi,

I want to install VMWare Virtual Center (VC).

I have a few questions. I thank you in advance for your patience.

1. does a standard computer PC Pentium-d 2.8GHZ with 2 GB ram is enough to perform as the VC server ?

2. In terms of operating system: does win2003web 32bit enough?

3. In terms of SQL, Does VC works with sql2005 express or only with SQL 2000?

4. Is it possible to install the VC DB on a remote SQL2005 (2 different servers)?

5. In the case of VC server failure, Can I still connect through the Standard "VMware Infrastructure Client" to each one individually ? there will be no problem with licenses ?

6. Because the VC license is recorded in the SQL (I guess), does the recovery of the VC server software will be to install the VC and connect it to the remote SQL, right ? There is no need to re-start the VC licenses (or am I wrong)?

Thanks,
    Michael

Re: VMware Virtual Center Installation Queastions

1. does a standard computer PC Pentium-d 2.8GHZ with 2 GB ram is enough to perform as the VC server ?
    Of course you would be better off with proper hardware but yes it will suffice

2. In terms of operating system: does win2003web 32bit enough?
    Yes http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/install/...ments.4.3.html

3. In terms of SQL, Does VC works with sql2005 express or only with SQL 2000?
    Both, but don't use MSDE for a production System. See 2

4. Is it possible to install the VC DB on a remote SQL2005 (2 different servers)?
    Yes.

5. In the case of VC server failure, Can I still connect through the Standard "VMware Infrastructure Client" to each one individually ? there will be no problem with licenses ?
    Licenses will not be a problem but some features will not be available.
    http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/install/...view.5.11.html

6. Because the VC license is recorded in the SQL (I guess), does the recovery of the VC server software will be to install the VC and connect it to the remote SQL, right ? There is no need to re-start the VC licenses (or am I wrong)
    The Licenses are not kept in the SQL database but managed by another Application the is usually installed on the vCenter server call FlexLM

If you have the licensing server and the SQL DB on the same machine as the vCenter server and it crashes then you will have to rebuild the server, the DB, and paste you serial number/license file back on the server for it to function properly. In the meantime all your hosts will continue to function (for I think up to 14 days)
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Re: VMware Virtual Center Installation Queastions

Thanks A lot.

Comment

Working...
      X