No announcement yet.

VMWare workstation on Windows 2008 R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare workstation on Windows 2008 R2

Hey guys

I have installed VMWare workstation on Windows 2008 R2 Beta and having really strange issue.

I am still new to visualization and hence try to follow best practices. Now I thought this is best practice to exclude VMware network adapters from Windows Firewall and hence followed the script described in the following article.

I have two VMs. One is Vista x64 and another Win7 x86. Both of them are now not communicating to the host i.e. the Windows 2008 R2.

Now the logical question is "did it work before running the powershell script specified in the article?"...The answer is...I don't know.

This is because I only installed the VMs after I ran the script.

The core issue: I can't ping the host from the VMs. I can't use the host as DNS server from the VMs. The VMs are fine as if I leave them completely on DHCP, everything is given from my router (IP, DNS) and is working well as the VMs can access Internet so I know it is not an issue with the VM.

The problem here is that the VMs can't communicate with the host, can't ping, browse anything. Interestingly enough...the host can ping the VMs no problem.

So, can someone tell me what am I doing wrong here? Do you think it is the "exclusion" of the VMWare network adapters that is causing it? Just to be sure, is there a script to reverse the process?

Can someone please help? My test lab is in trouble here .

Last edited by dhaval001; 15th February 2009, 20:40.