Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting hardware to VM machines

evening all

I've just implemented a CentOS / Nagio install and am looking for a way to hook a phone or 3G card up to the virtual machine. I've done a bit of research and it seems you can't connect usb to the actual VM machines other than hosting it on a physical device and use something like USBAnywhere to connect to it over a network. Not ideal at all.

Does anyone have an suggestions of how I can solve this one out?
    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Re: Connecting hardware to VM machines

VMs running under VMware Workstation can access USB devices. If you're not using Workstation, then maybe you should tell us which product you're using?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry, my bad. I completely forgot to mention I was running ESX server

Comment

evening all

I've just implemented a CentOS / Nagio install and am looking for a way to hook a phone or 3G card up to the virtual machine. I've done a bit of research and it seems you can't connect usb to the actual VM machines other than hosting it on a physical device and use something like USBAnywhere to connect to it over a network. Not ideal at all.

Does anyone have an suggestions of how I can solve this one out?

// I need this too... and in find this in the web

http://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5110.htm

regards.

Comment

Javier, can I suggest that you use the quote feature rather than just copying and pasting in future?
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thanks for the tip. I'll have a look into it further but it's not what I had in mind but needs must, what?

sorry, don't know where the cheesey british accent came from there.

Comment

USBAnywhere is actually a network device and you install agents inside the VM which talks to the network device and emulates a USB interface.

The VMKernel currently does not support USB which means plugging a USB stick into an ESX host provides nothing short of Service Console access to the USB device.

You'll need to migrate that VM to a virtualization platform that supports USB or use a 3rd party product like USBAnywhere. Or potentially wait and see what comes in VI.next. Who knows....

I'm sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                USBAnywhere is actually a network device
                Are you sure that's not AnywhereUSB? http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp

There is a software product called [email protected] that's on my list of things to look into. http://www.softforall.com/Utilities/...re09090268.htm

Originally posted by jasonboche
                You'll need to migrate that VM to a virtualization platform that supports USB
                Out of interest (and may be useful for graycat to know), are you aware of any bare-metal hypervisors that support this? The lack of USB and other local devices such as SCSI drives has been the major factor stopping me from committing more readily to virtualisation.

Edit: Another one I've found just now is this one http://www.fabulatech.com/usb-over-network.html - cheaper than AnywhereUSB if you have an old PC lying around and a copy of Linux.
                Last edited by gforceindustries; 12th February 2009, 16:25.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

thanks for the confirmation it's not possible natively in ESX at present. Bit of a shame really.

As to physical alternatives, would I be right in assuming it would be possible to host a phone / 3G card on another machine (linux presumably) and use that as an sms relay host?
                  *he says eyeing up the 9yr old laptop on the "spares" shelf*

Comment

Originally posted by graycat View Post
                    As to physical alternatives, would I be right in assuming it would be possible to host a phone / 3G card on another machine (linux presumably) and use that as an sms relay host?
                    I don't see why not, as long as you have a suitable server app running on the Linux machine and a client for it on your VM (or you write your software to talk to the server).
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Hi gforceindustries,

I could have transposed the names - it may be AnywhereUSB. I haven't used the products myself but I've read about it in my travels. For those who wish to use it, I've heard it works quite well.

graycat - I only work with VMware products. Perhaps XenServer or Hyper-V support USB devices. Petri has a Hyper-V forum - you could go ask there. Let us know!

Jas
                      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

My research leads me to believe that Hyper-V Server doesn't offer USB support either.

Let's all hope that this is something that VMware address soon

Granted, it would tie a VM to a specific physical server... but if that's a major problem then AnywhereUSB etc would be fine for you.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                        X