Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about ESXi guest machine, is a physical server still required to support it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ESXi guest machine, is a physical server still required to support it

I'm in the process of converting our servers to VMs, and came up with some questions.

In a domain network, there must be a DC / DHCP server, if they are being converted into a VM guest, how do you turn these guest OS on ?

Because the VI Client workstations won't be getting IP assigned when the DC/ DHCP server is off, then there's no connectivity in between the host and VI Client.

In this case, how do you log into the ESXi server to turn on the guest machines??

And in the ESXi server settings, DNS Servers, what should I set these to ?

because our AD DC server is also a DNS, now it's a VM Guest, how exactly does the DNS work?

Did I miss anything here?? I'm new to VMWare i'm sorry about all these questions...

Re: Question about ESXi guest machine, is a physical server still required to support

Originally posted by mike2016 View Post
    In a domain network, there must be a DC / DHCP server, if they are being converted into a VM guest, how do you turn these guest OS on ?
    VM's act exactly the same as your your physical servers, they do not need a DHCP to be turned on, but they will need a DHCP server on the network in order to get an IP address.

Because the VI Client workstations won't be getting IP assigned when the DC/ DHCP server is off, then there's no connectivity in between the host and VI Client.

In this case, how do you log into the ESXi server to turn on the guest machines??
    Assign your ESX Server a static IP - and that way you will not be dependant on the DHCP server. Unless this ESX3i machine will managed by Virtual center - which I gather is not the case at the moment - then you do not have to be dependant on your DC to authenticate your access to the ESX3i machine.

And in the ESXi server settings, DNS Servers, what should I set these to ?

because our AD DC server is also a DNS, now it's a VM Guest, how exactly does the DNS work?

Did I miss anything here?? I'm new to VMWare i'm sorry about all these questions...
    The same as you would assign any other machine on your network. But be aware, that if your DC is a VM and it is the ONLY DC (with DNS role running on it) you have - if your DC is down for some reason, you will most probably have serious network issues.

Plan.. Plan... Plan....
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
    X