Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple way to export a VM?

Hello,

I need to export an existing VM so that it can be transported to a different physical site and imported there.

With Xen I would simply 'Export as backup' and be done with it, but I can't figure out how to do this in ESX.

Thanks!

-Travis

Re: Simple way to export a VM?

VMware Converter.
    Free.
    Get it.
    http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion, however I don't see a way to export the VM to a folder on a local machine, to transfer it to another non-connected host.

I can start the wizard get to VM in my Vcenter server, then get an error message "Warning: Can not configure source image." click ok goes to the next step, click next, Step 2 Destination, where I dont have an option to save as a file for transport to second location. So I cancel the operation.

Am I missing something?

I have gone to the datastores in VCS, Browsed the Datastore, right clicked on the VM I want and tried to download or copy but both fail with I/O failure message. I read that this maybe a bug in VIC-unconfirmed.

Really it can't be this difficult to make a copy of VM and move it to another machine across the country.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Comment

If you are running vi client 3.+ you can open the datastore that the VM is located on and there is the ability to upload or download files/folders directly to a drive on your PC (local or mapped) Look for the little icons with green arrows

You can also download the free veeam backup and fast SCP client which is my prefered way. Just shutdown the VM and copy away. Its very fast for SSH and much better then winSCP

HOpe this helps

Comment

With ESX you can import/export the VM once it is powered off.

Here is a blog post of mine that explains a bit more

http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2009...o-another.html
          Maish
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Hello Comerjo1 and Maish,

Thank you both for the suggestions, however neither works.

Comerjo1, I am running VIC 2.5.0 with Virtual Center 2.5.0, I have tried what you suggested by going to the datastore and downloading the VM, as I already posted that fails every time with I/O error, when it is copying the flat.vmdk file. Sometimes it transfers for a few mins, sometimes about 20 seconds. But always the same results, fails to complete.
            I will try your other option to use 3rd party products, that the primary product should be able to do in 5 clicks or less.

Maish,

You also show an easy way to copy the VM, but I am running ESX 3.5 not the i version, so when I go to File -> Virtual Appliance -> Export, I get an error that says The virtual machine can not be exported, Device CD/DVD Drive, the export format does not support the backing of this device. (and the VM is off)

I don't see anyway to change the export location. To like you said in your blog, anywhere I want to export it.

I have tried WinSCP, to copy the folder, I get an error that says permission denied, guessing that since I can't log in as root, Admin doesnt have enough rights to copy files.

I tried to Tar Ball the files, and get an error, basicly the same thing don't have permission to touch these files. I tried sudo and su.

I am by no means an expert with linux, with only 3 months under my belt, I don't know how to elevate my login to allow me to accomplish such a simple thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Comment

And the location you which you chose to save the file - was that a hard drive?

Try and see if you have any devices (iso's/floppies) connected in the VM settings.
              Maish
              If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Maish,

Yes I want to save it to a local hard drive on my client computer so I then can transfer it to my other location.

I had the cdrom set to the ISO I used to create the VM OS. Which was set not to connect at startup. I have now changed that to client device and when I try to export I have no export option, it's grayed out.

Mark

Comment

Maish,

Follow up, I found that if I select the VM and edit the settings for CD/DVD and set it to host device, I got the option to select /dev/hda then I was able to export it to my local computer.

Thanks again for all your help, and pointing me in the right direction.

Hail to Petri, for providing such an invaluable service.

Mark

Comment

You are welcome..
                    Maish

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
                    X