How to keep Vmware tools upto date.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep Vmware tools upto date.

I am have more number of VMs and few other people also has permissions to deploy virtual machines. But people sometimes missing to install/update vmware-tools to latest. Is there any way using which I can monitor vmware-tools status on all virtual servers? I want to get alerts if a particular server fails to have low or no vmware tools.

Re: How to keep Vmware tools upto date.

What VMware product?

What guest OSes?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry for not being clear in my earlier update.

I am using Vmware ESX 3.5 and all the guest OSes are windows XP/2003

Comment

You could use WMI to determine which machines have VMware Tools installed.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There are not out of the box VI tools from VMware that give you detailed visibility or alerts for VMware Tools versions, however, there exists a freeware tool called RVTools that will give you the detailed VMware Tools versions for all your VMs in the datacenter. It's a handy little utility that does more than just that too - gives you snapshot visibility also which is critical so that your snapshots don't get out of hand. Note, this is not an alerting tool (yet) but it definitely fills gaps.

http://www.robware.net/
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X