VMWare Server Client OS Black Screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Server Client OS Black Screen

I'm using remote desktop to manage a Windows 2003 Standard server with VMWare Server 1.0.8 installed. I went through the install process for a virtual XP machine without any trouble but after the install finished, I get a black screen.

I'm using the VMWare Server console and if I have two machines open, I can switch back and forth between the two tabs and get a flash of the XP machine's desktop, but then it's back to black.

Any thoughts?

Re: VMWare Server Client OS Black Screen

Have you tried clicking inside the vm console window?

Comment

Yup. If I click inside the window, the mouse is captured and the cursor disappears. So I clicked ctrl-alt and did the "tab switch" to see where the cursor moved to and was able to find it and, using the back-and-forth method, get logged in.

Comment

If you reboot the XP VM and prevent the VM from loading the XP OS, in other words you open up the BIOS screen or perhaps hit ESC to open up the VMware boot menu, Are you able to see the text based screens with no problems? What I'm driving at here is if it's the Windows GUI that's exhibiting the behavior or if it's plain text as well.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

No, the screen goes straight to black.

Comment

I am having the exact same issue with this.

Both on Win XP Pro SP2 and Win 2003 Svr Ent 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

So I had two XP VM's and I was rdp'ing to the host box. When I changed the color depth of the rdp window, I could see one of the guest desktops. The other seems hosed so I got rid of that.

Comment

Working...
              X