ESX User/Group Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX User/Group Management

I'm having a few problems understanding how to manage user & groups in ESX.

What I am trying to do is create a group, assign permissions to that group and then add & remove users at will confident that they will gain/lose permissions appropriately.

I have tried assigning permissions (usually just Administrator) directly to users ... that seems to work but is messy as many users get added with no way of managing them easily (I can log in using ViClient).

I have tried creating groups, assigning permissions (same as above) to that group and adding users to it ... despite the fact that "Propagate to Child Objects" is checked in the "Assign Permissions" dialog, as far as I can tell, the user doesn't inherit the group's permissions (I can't log in). .

I have also tried using the Admin mode, cloning the Administrator role (with a view to later editing that group and removing non-essential permissions) and adding users to that ... that works fine.

EDIT: I have not found a way to remove a user from a role yet.

Obviously I'm aware that the ESX preferred (?) method of user/group management is via an AD domain but strict change control is in place here and that would require some major finance, coordination & effort (not to mention brainache) ... IOW not on my life or anyone else's for quite some time. I've read some of the P

I suppose what I really want to know is what is the philosophy behind WMWare user management.

Maybe there are some tutorials somewhere?

Kyu
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 27th January 2009, 15:07.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: ESX User/Group Management

I wrote a blog article on this about a week ago which I think would benefit you:

http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/...s-should-know/
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: ESX User/Group Management

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      I wrote a blog article on this about a week ago which I think would benefit you:

http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/...s-should-know/
      Thanks ...

I was going to listen to your podcast but couldn't because my employers have switched off any kind of streaming ... oh well.

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X