Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi Configuration?

So OK,

I have my ESXi server working and that's cool. But I need some configuration advice.

As things stand I have about 8 36Gb drives, 1 x 72Gb & 1 x 146Gb along with 4 removable caddies so I need advice as to how best to configure my ESXi server.

My current thoughts are:

Drive 1: 36Gb, ESXi (Host) OS
    Drive 2: 73Gb, VM's (OS partitions only)
    Drive 3: 146Gb, Data (data partitions only)

I also plan to convert my old server (an IBM x206 server) into a NAS box (there's a Linux distro that does that) ... I know it's not a SAN but it will give me a little bit of the feel of a SAN. That brings up a question ... is there any way I could set up a second PC to behave like it was a SAN?

Anyway, does that sound like a sensible configuration for now? Later on I plan to buy 1 or more larger SCSI drives.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: ESXi Configuration?

Single spindles will be a serious disk i/o bottleneck if running more than just a few VMs. Concurrent events like simultaneous reboots of VMs will really suffer. Not to mention you'll have no redundancy. You'd be best off striping those 8x36GB drives together as one large volume to use for VMs.

Yes, set up an additional box to run Openfiler as iSCSI or NFS. It's free. Just google Openfiler for the download. There is a 32 and 64 bit version available for the installable version, plus an appliance version for farting around. 2.2 is solid. 2.3 the jury is still out. I'm giving it another shot in my lab right now in hopes that I just goofed the install the first time when it was terribly unstable. The nice thing about version 2.3 is the menu driven bonding for the NICs.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Jas,

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      Single spindles will be a serious disk i/o bottleneck if running more than just a few VMs. Concurrent events like simultaneous reboots of VMs will really suffer. Not to mention you'll have no redundancy. You'd be best off striping those 8x36GB drives together as one large volume to use for VMs.
      I know but unfortunately the Adaptec RAID card I bought (a 3140S which works fine with Windows) doesn't work with ESXi and this is a home/test ESXi system anyway ... yes I'm using it for real data/VM's but it won't be under anything like the kind of pressure a work system is under

You're right though ... assuming I go ahead with my old server as a NAS then it would make more sense to RAID those disks. Still ... it's SCSI & I reckon it's gotta perform better than my current Windows/SATA solution though.

Do you know if the Adaptec 2120S U320 Ultra320 SCSI RAID card would work with ESXi coz I can get one of those for under 30?

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      Yes, set up an additional box to run Openfiler as iSCSI or NFS. It's free. Just google Openfiler for the download. There is a 32 and 64 bit version available for the installable version, plus an appliance version for farting around. 2.2 is solid. 2.3 the jury is still out. I'm giving it another shot in my lab right now in hopes that I just goofed the install the first time when it was terribly unstable. The nice thing about version 2.3 is the menu driven bonding for the NICs.
      Thanks ... I'm downloading 2.3 as it says on the page it's "final release".

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

There are a few great links in this thread providing clarification on white box support for questionable peripherals: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15189
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X