ESX 3.5 installation on Dell 330 Optiplex

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX 3.5 installation on Dell 330 Optiplex

Hello All,

I am new to Vmware ESX

Even though Dell Optiplex 330(SATA harddisk) is not in Vmware HCL, i tried to install vmware esx 3.5 and it successfully install, its fast booting, am able to access through web or through VI client. so it seems no problem with the instalation.

Its showing that you first create a datastore to create VM, it not showing any internal storage, what should i do now? is it openfiler required even for creating a host vm..

Re: ESX 3.5 installation on Dell 330 Optiplex

You need storage that ESX can see that qualifies for creating VMFS partitions. You can get yourself a RAID/SATA controller that VMware sees (there are hundreds of topics covering this on the internet) and add disks to create your VMFS volume, or like you mentioned, you can go the external shared storage route by using fibre channel san, iSCSI, or NFS. I highly recommend Openfiler 2.2. Been using it for VMFS storage for a few years with downtime issues. 2.3 came out a while back and although the UI is greatly revampped, there are major instability problems using it with VMware VMFS that I haven't sorted out yet so I'm sticking with Openfiler but also have my eyes on a SAN now.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.