run full ESX(not esxi) from usb flash drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• run full ESX(not esxi) from usb flash drive

I have read the instructions on how to get esxi to run froma USB/flash drive. I was wondering if this is possible for the full ESX, and what the procedure would be if its any different.

Re: run full ESX(not esxi) from usb flash drive

Full ESX is only available as an installation, and cannot be run from a USB drive.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Never heard of anyone accomplishing this. It would have to be minimum a 2GB flash drive to do so.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

If someone had lets say an 8gb flash drive, in theory would the procedure for getting esxi work with esx? Or is there another reason why esx cannot be run from a flash drive besides the pure size issue

Comment

I'm assuming you already have purchased ESX - if so, try it and see. I doubt many people would have tried it before, so wouldn't expect there to be much if anything about it online. If you do get it to work, then please let us know
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, try it and report the results. I'm not big on booting from USB drives other than for proof of concept or testing.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
            X