Building a VMWare environment for Call Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a VMWare environment for Call Manager

Im looking for advice on setting up VMs to simulate a call manager environment. Could someone advise on the following please?

I have a Proliant G1 with 2 x Processors and 1G of RAM. Will this hardware be suitable for VM?

Advice on VM version to download and availability of VM images and evaluations for different call manager versions would be helpful.

Im similarly looking to VM different Netware versions so if anyone has useful links to Netware VMs that would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gary Duncanson; 7th January 2009, 17:09.

Re: Building a VMWare environment for Call Manager

Far more information required. Will the hardware be suitable? Depends entirely on what hardware you're running - so far we have absolutely no idea. Depends entirely on what guest operating systems you're intending to run and what applications - so far we have absolutely no idea. Almost certainly you'll want a lot more RAM.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks Gareth,

The hardware is a Proliant DL360. I understand it has 2 x 1Gig processors and 1Gig of RAM. 2 x 18.2 Gig Ultra 3 SCSI drives. I intend to run Windows Server 2003 evaluation on it. Being somewhat new to VMWare I was wondering which VMWare version to install. I would like to run Call Manager as a VM to evaluate the product. Not looking to do anything complex with this hardware. Basically need just enough grunt to run it and have a look at the Call Manager utilities.

Comment

VMware HCL - http://www.vmware.com/resources/comp...tems_guide.pdf

Even if you can install VMware on your box you're going to need more RAM and storage space.
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

If you're running an OS on the server already, then VMware Server (assuming you are tied to using VMware). If you don't, then ESXi if it'll run on your box (I have my doubts).
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

DL360's only have 2 drive bays so make sure you go with high density disks if you need a lot of storage. Because you'll likely be creating a RAID1 hardware mirror, that means you're only getting 1 spindle to handle disk I/O. Don't expect this box to perform disk crunch magic.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
            X