No announcement yet.

VM Config File Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM Config File Problem

I tried to open up one of my VM's via the console and get an error that says "Virtual machine config file does not exist". Now I was cleaning up some files in the datastore and may have deleted something it is looking for. But there is a .vmx file in the datastore so I am not sure if I deleted the wrong one.

How can I fix this issue?

Re: VM Config File Problem

This should be fairly straight forward. What VMware product are you using? In the management console of your product (VIC, Workstation console, Server console, etc.) it should provide you with the path and file name of your .VMX. It's either going to be there or it won't be (or maybe it's corrupted?) Anyway it's not the end of the world. As long as your .vmdk file is in tact, .vmx files can easily be recreated by creating a new Virtual Machine with the same virtual hardware parameters, and then for virtual disks, point it to the existing .vmdk file(s) you have.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.