Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Datacenter Virtualisation : Server Post Installation Tests ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datacenter Virtualisation : Server Post Installation Tests ??

Hi Guys,

I am working on a project where my team is involved in building virtual servers for a datacenter. I've been asked to produce a list of post-installation tests that can performed to confirm that everything is fine with a server.

As i am a newbie to virtusalisation , i really dont know what to check and where ? Can someone PLEASE provide me some easy checks\test steps to

1. Test connectivity of ESX Server box with AD ?
    2. Check to make sure that storage and backup is working OK ?
    3. Check to makre sure monitoring is working ?
    4. Check around Datastores ??
    5. Any other System Intergration tests ??

Thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers,
    N.
    Last edited by namz; 15th December 2008, 00:35. Reason: Missed a step

Re: Datacenter Virtualisation : Server Post Installation Tests ??

A very brief, and more importantly incomplete, list:

1) Backups

Monitor the logs produced by your backup application. Check that the size of the backup archive matches the size of the source. Test restoring from your backups regularly. If someone deletes a file, can you restore it? If the storage subsystem of a server falls apart, can you recover? If one of your servers is destroyed, can you restore to a dissimilar system? What happen if I steal one of your backup tapes - can you still recover then?

2) Basic Connectivity

Ping the server to see if you get a response. Check it's TCP/IP settings and make sure that it's getting an IP address on the correct subnet, and that the DNS servers, WINS servers and default gateway are correct.

3) AD Connectivity

For member servers, make sure that you can login with domain accounts. Check that Group Policies are applied as expected. If it's a DC, check the status of replication with ReplMon or similar. Make a change on this server and see if it's reflected on another. Make a change on another server and see if it's reflected on this one.

4) Monitoring

Some "errors" that should trigger an alert can easily be forced - such as disconnecting from the network. Some are easy to force on a *physical* server but not a VM, such as dropping one of a set of redundant power supplies. Monitor the event logs and any other logs on the system and see if they tie up to what your monitoring solution tells you.

Whatever your level of confidence, discuss this matter with your team and ensure that you come up with a list that the team is comfortable with. Does the team leader realise that you don't have much experience with virtualisation?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks Gareth , That was very helpful and simple to understand.
      Thanks for ur suggestion , i've already discussed this with me team and they expect me to deliver a drat in couple of days not a very quality testing doc so thats not a prob.

With this i want to give myself a chance to learn virtualisation , but unfortunately my current organisation does not have many internal resources with experience in this stuff so thats why i moved to this forum which i think has plenty to offer. I m good in Windows stuff and wud look to contribute to soem of the questions that appear in that section of forumn.

Hmm..other than what you suggested , do u (or another respected member) can suggest me some more 'system intergeration' or 'technical connectivity' test around this ..

Thanks again , i really liked the way u wrote those steps for me..

Cheers.

Comment

Out of interest, this team deploying virtual servers for a datacentre, is this a real datacentre, or a hypothetical one for purposes of education? If it's a real dc then I would expect you to be bringning in consultants at this phase, rather than expecting an inexperienced member of the team to be coming up with this list.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Out of interest, this team deploying virtual servers for a datacentre, is this a real datacentre, or a hypothetical one for purposes of education? If it's a real dc then I would expect you to be bringning in consultants at this phase, rather than expecting an inexperienced member of the team to be coming up with this list.
          Its real DC , any help ??

Comment

Just remember that a Virtual Server is physical server that has been virtualised. Therefore any tests/testing of a physical server will also apply to a virtual one.

Just a side point, make sure you advise your manager/supervisor/boss that you have limited experience with Virtualisation and make sure you advice them in writing (email) that is sent to more than one person. This way you at least have some small protection of things go pear shaped and the finger is pointed at you.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

NTP Test ???

Thanks Guys, Can anyone suggest be some testing steps for NTP ???

Cheers,
              N

Comment

Do you mean to see if your server is synchronized Network Time Protocol Server?
                Maish
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
                X