Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi Free VMWare Download

Hi,

I am a WMWare VCP (a year or so) but I don't get much chance to use VMWare at work ... a bit but not much so it was with some interest that I was told about ESXi freely downloadable, kinda looks/acts like normal ESX etc. I was also told it would work with normal desktop style drives.

So I downloaded it only to find that it won't install on anything other than some SCSI and some RAID (maybe it does install on IDE but like, I guess, most people these days I have been on SATA for quite some time) ... it seems to have the exact same limitations that the full product has so I'm kinda left wondering why VMWare bothered to launch this cut down free version?

Am I missing something because right now it seems the only way I can go is VMWare server which, whilst entirely competent, is not what I need to use to keep my skills in reasonable shape.

Any ideas?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Heart of the Tiger (The Abyssal Void War series)

Re: ESXi Free VMWare Download

Every piece of software has hardware requirements, and some are more specific than others. I would expect the point behind making ESXi available for free would be to help VMware retain their market share (especially when Xen and Hyper-V are also free) and to ensure that their enterprise class products are accessible to those without corporate budgets, so that people can become skilled with the tools and therefore increase the chance of their companies purchasing the full product.

[quote=Kyuuketsuki;138763]Am I missing something because right now it seems the only way I can go is VMWare server which, whilst entirely competent, is not what I need to use to keep my skills in reasonable shape/quote]

Or Microsoft Virtual Server, or VMware Workstation or Hyper-V, or...

I'm curious, in what way is VMware Server not adequate?
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 14th December 2008, 16:13.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      I'm curious, in what way is VMware Server not adequate?
      If all I wanted was virtualisation then yeah, any of the others would be fine but I really want to keep my [VMWare ESX] skills in reasonable shape

There's the resource issue too (ESX is more efficient on resources than VMWare server or, to my knowledge, any of the MS virtualisation products) but the above is my main reason.

Thanks for the reply.

Kyu
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 14th December 2008, 17:14.

Comment

More on this ..

Just to see if it could see it I have powered ESXi up on my laptop (IDE 2.5" drive), my own PC (3.5" SATA 2 drive, non-raid), my current server (IBM X206 with a 160Gb IDE boot drive and a 600Gb XGFX Revo RAID, usually seen by OS's as straight IDE i.e. driverless) and a DELL 1600SC with varied SCSI cards and arrays ... the only system that ESXi can see a drive on is the DELL but it can only see a single SCSI drive (it can't see any storage on the rest).

Does anyone know how to make VMWare ESXi "see" normal hardware (specifically SATA & IDE drives)? Has anyone got it to install on anything like that?

Kyu

Comment

This will get you started

http://www.vm-help.com/

ESX Whitebox list
          Maish
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
            ESX is more efficient on resources than VMWare server
            Apples and oranges. One is an application installed under an OS, the other *is* the OS. What are you basing this on?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi there,

I have found the best way to keep your skills up on ESX on a limited budget is to load Vmware Workstation 6 onto your PC then go through the guide here. www.happyrouter.com to show you how to install ESX or ESXi into Workstation 6. I have this working really well 2 x ESX Hosts and a ISCSI VM for storage. Also the Train Signal ESX video explains this in detail.. www.trainsignal.com

This will not work straight onto the hardware you mentioned.

Check the HCL at vmware for supported hardware, Could alway buy a server off Ebay for training just make sure it is on the HCL.

Chris (VCP)

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
                Great site ... thanks

Originally posted by chrisfoo View Post
                This will not work straight onto the hardware you mentioned. Check the HCL at vmware for supported hardware, Could alway buy a server off Ebay for training just make sure it is on the HCL.
                Thanks for the resource limks

Yuu're right ... I am planning to buy a 146GB SCSI drive off eBay and us that for my ESX and then either configure my old server as a NAS (easy enough, I as there is a Linux NAS, hopefully that will work OK) or buy an Adaptec 2410SA serial ATA RAID card which according to VM-Help works with ESXi.

In some ways the NAS seems a better way forward since I can treat that a bit more like a SAN.

Kyu

Comment

I currently have my ESXi 3.5 u2 environment booting from a 4GB USB Key and then use the drives onboard as datastores as well as FreeNAS on another box with a gigabit crossover cable and it runs nice

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                    I currently have my ESXi 3.5 u2 environment booting from a 4GB USB Key and then use the drives onboard as datastores as well as FreeNAS on another box with a gigabit crossover cable and it runs nice
                    Cool ... one question, do you make your NAS available to other systems or is stuff on it only available through ESX hosted VM's?

Kyu

Comment

As the NAS is connected with a crossover cable, I would assume it is connected directly to the ESXi bos and not to the network.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

As the NAS is connected with a crossover cable, I would assume it is connected directly to the ESXi bos and not to the network.
                        True but it could have two NIC's ... both my servers do.

Kyu

Comment

Yes it would have 2 NICs - one to connect the ESXi box to the network, and one to the NAS.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes it would have 2 NICs - one to connect the ESXi box to the network, and one to the NAS.
                            Ah but I mean the NAS box which is FreeNAS so (I assume) just a PC and so could potentially have 2 NIC's.

This is of interest to me because that's what I hope to end up with i.e. a DELL 1600SC running with ESXi and my current Windows 2003 server (IBM x206) reconfigured as a NAS box so the ESXi server directly connected to the NAS and the network but the NAS independently available to other network clients.

Kyu

Comment

Working...
                            X