ESXi & SATA drive SAN Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi & SATA drive SAN Configuration

Currently, I have one IBM x3650 server with ESXi installed. There are 4 virtual machines running off of it using local hard disks. I am about to purchase an Overland Ultimus RAID 6TB SAN. The Ultimus is configured with 6 1TB SATA drives and a 4GB FC will be connected to our Netgear Prosafe switch. The IBM x3650 will have an HBA card installed which will be connected to the Prosafe switch also.
    As of now I am running 4 VMs locally on the X3650. One VM runs Websense, another with Blackberry Enterprise Server, one running IBM Director, and our forth running Citrix Presentation Server 4.0. All data for these VMs are local.
    My question is this, when I am planning for future VMs to be created which I already have two that will be implemented once the SAN is in place, which of the following should I do. Or best practices.
    A. Create my VM locally, present local disk space for the Guest OS to run and then present SAN disk space for the data drive.
    B. Create my LUN and present it to the newly created VM, install my OS on the SAN disk space and run all data on the SAN.
    The one VM that for sure will be created once the SAN is in place will be our file server. There is a possibility that our other 3 Citrix servers along with a SQL server may be added at a later time. Will running SATA drives be a performance issue for the OSs on each VM, will there be a slowness for each OS, will there be a performance hit for our SQL data?
    Thanks
    Mike

Re: ESXi & SATA drive SAN Configuration

Personally, I would try to avoid virtualising an SQL Server - I would want that to run on dedicated hardware, with local SAS disks (not SATA).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I agree with you on that one.. but some powers to be say other wise...

Comment

Company management or IT management? Company management shouldn't make IT decisions, and IT management should know better
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

i agree its a little of both... we are a small construction company with limited budgets.. so read between the lines on that.. and thats where i am situated

Comment

Originally posted by mikec2219 View Post
            limited budgets
            They probably will be after you spend all your money on a SAN
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Well its only costing about $8500. Which is not bad. Its either that or buy a few servers a 4000+ or one server with a butt load of storage at 5000+. We are a Leed certified company and my goal is to migrate our data cetner to a Green IT data center. We built a brand new green building for ourselves and all we build is green LEED bldgs.. so i want to get our datacenter onboard

Comment

That's a pretty good deal.

One query... in your first post you described it as a 6TB SAN, with 6 x 1TB disks, but you also said that it will be using RAID... which RAID level will you be using? Unless you're using RAID 0 (not wise for mission critical) you won't get the full 6TB of storage from 6 x 1TB disks.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Ofcourse.. i will be using Raid 5. But back to my original question, i agree with not putting SQl data on the VM, but what is your opinion on install the full VM guest on the LUN or install the OS locally on the server and just keep data running on the LUN

Comment

I would probably install the OS locally and put data on the SAN. I backup the system state of my servers, but if a server goes down it's often preferable to reinstall the OS from scratch rather than fiddle around with restoring from a backup. Store 'expendable' data locally on the VM host, and non-expendable data on the SAN.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

I agree 100% with you... Those are the steps i plan on taking.

Comment

But take into account, that if you ever want to have any kind of redundancy (HA,Vmotion) on the Virtual machines, they will need to reside on Shared storage, both the Data drive and the system drive.

And by way..

SQL runs perfectly under ESX

Here are some whitepapers

www.vmware.com/files/pdf/benchmarking_micrsoft_sql_vmware_esx_server_wp.pdf

www.vmware.com/files/pdf/SQLServerWorkloads.pdf

And this one which talks about Oracle but DB's but it applies to SQL just the same

http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/...asons-why.html
                        Maish
                        ----------------------------------------------------------
                        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                        ----------------------------------------------------------
                        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
                        X