Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is a Best Host Operating System

Hi everybody and greetings.
    I need this answer from all you power users out here, and I need a definite answer and i do not want this to be an open ended debate.

I have a Pentium Dual Core Computer with 3 Gigs of RAM running Windows XP (SP3) and a dual boot with Linux (Debian and Fedora Core 10)

2 SATA Hard Drives 320 GB Each

I intend to run a few virtual guest operating systems using VMWARE Work Station latest version such as Solaris, Open Solaris, Win2K3. The question and doubt that i have in mind is ---

Which is a good HOST Operating System to run these guests- WINDOWS XP or LINUX.

Please give me your answer, your advice is asked for.

Thanks & Regards
    AC

Re: Which is a Best Host Operating System

Depends which one you know best.
    XP is likely to use more resources than *nix but you can reduce them down a lot, with a loss of certain features. If you are just playing then pick the one you use most often. If you use XP for more stuff then set that up.
    The only thing I can think of that would make a difference is if XP was 32bit and Linux 64bit but with 3GB ram that is mute too.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi andy,
      Thanks for your reply. I just need to clarify some facts with you -

I know both OS's well and am comfortable with RHEL also.

I do intend to play around with my virtual machines, but I need good performance as I would be running 2+ instances of Solaris-10 to practice for the exams

How do you limit or reduce windows XPs RAM usage and usage of other resources as you had mentioned that doing so there would be certain loss of features.

And please give me a final conclusion as I am still confused. I want my host to run well and at the same time the performance in the guests should not be sluggish

So do let me know

Comment

There are many guides on the internet about disabling services/stopping programs etc. Removing AV for example can be risky but can provide more speed and less RAM usage. If you know redhat well enough and know what can/can't be disabled then I would say use that. In the end, personally speaking, it is likely Linux will perform quicker overall but not by a substantial noticeable amount. You would get better performance by having separate disks for each VM.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X