Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VM's cant see eachother, driving me crazy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM's cant see eachother, driving me crazy!

First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone, this is an awesome forum I have been brought to many times with google searches and it has always given me the correct answers

Ok here's my setup...

VM Workstation installed on my laptop

Server 2003 Standard installed as a VM

XP Professional installed as a VM

I have both VM's set to 'HOST ONLY'

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is the info brought from ipconfig /all on my laptop...

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : default
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for
    VMnet8
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for
    VMnet1
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.230.1
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-7B-25-E4-19

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mi
    ni PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-1D-C7-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 December 2008 19:53:01

-------------------------------------------------------

The XP VM get's an IP address of 192.168.230.129 from the DHCP server

The Server 2003 VM cannot get an IP address from DHCP (this is one of the things that it baffling me)

If I set a static IP address on the Server 2003 VM to something like 192.168.230.128 the 'limited or no connectivity' box disappears but it cannot talk to the XP VM

Ideally I want both machines to be able to see eachother and I want the Server 2003 VM to act as a DHCP server and want both machines to be able to access the internet.

Any advise would be most grateful as this has been annoying me for over a week, I started with VM Server installed but then moved to Workstation as I thought the VM Server might be more complex

Thanks guys

Re: VM's cant see eachother, driving me crazy!

Just realised I have posted this in the wrong section, please can a mod/admin move it to the 'VMWare virtualization' section - Thanks

Comment

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if your VMs are set to "host only" networking then they are never going to talk to each other - they will only ever see the host OS.

The best solution would be to give the Server 03 VM two network adapters. Set one to bridged, so that it sees your real network. Set the other to connect to VMnet03 (or some other VMware network - just not bridged, NAT or host only). Set the adapter on the XP machine to also connect to VMnet03. Setup DHCP, DNS and RRaS on the Server 03 VM. If all goes smoothly, the Server 03 VM will act as the gateway for your XP VM to access the internet, while using Server 03 as its DHCP and DNS servers.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Now that sounds more like it, any ideas how to add a second NIC on the Server 2003 VM? Thanks

Comment

I'm away from my box with VMware on it, so this is from memory:

Shut down the VM, edit its settings and there should be a button to add options to the VM. These include additional hard drives, optical drives and what you're looking for - network adapters.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by noob0259 View Post
            If I set a static IP address on the Server 2003 VM to something like 192.168.230.128 the 'limited or no connectivity' box disappears but it cannot talk to the XP VM

Ideally I want both machines to be able to see eachother and I want the Server 2003 VM to act as a DHCP server and want both machines to be able to access the internet.

Any advise would be most grateful as this has been annoying me for over a week, I started with VM Server installed but then moved to Workstation as I thought the VM Server might be more complex
            The windows 2003 VM - is it part of a domain or part of a workgroup?

If you would like both machines to access the internet - then Host-Only is not the option you need, you will need bridged or NAT.

The machines should be able to ping each other.

The IP you recived from the XP what is the Subnet mask and gateway that is assigned? Please post ipconfig /all from both the XP and the 2003 machine please.
            Maish
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
            VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
            MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
            A proud husband and father of 3 girls
            If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Right, the Server 2003 VM now has 2 NIC's, one set to bridged and the other set to VM3 - This still gives limited or no connectivity on both NIC's

The XP VM is also set to VMnet3 - Now this gets limited or no connectivity...

Forgot to mention, the Server 2003 VM is set as a domain controller, DHCP not installed

No matter what I set the Server 2003 VM to, it will not get an IP address (NAT, bridged, host only), whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

Comment

First off, the two NICs set to VMNet3. The one on the DC should be given a static address - as you know, DCs have static addresses. Install DHCP and the XP machine will be given an IP. Put this on a different subnet to your "real" network.

As for why the server's other NIC isn't getting an IP, is there a DHCP server on that network? How does the host OS get an IP address? Looking at your original post, it looks like 192.168.0.1 is the DHCP for that network - your router maybe? Try rebooting it, check it's DHCP settings etc.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Forgot to mention, the Server 2003 VM is set as a domain controller, DHCP not installed
                  Domain controllers cannot be set to receive and IP from DHCP - they have to have a static IP.

ipconfig /all from both machines would help a lot in trouble shooting the problem..
                  Maish
                  Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                  VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                  MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                  A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                  If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

The DC did have a static IP address before AND DHCP configured, I undid all of this as I thought something may have got messed up somewhere, I will try all of the above later on once I get to my VM machine

Also, you mentioned "real network", I don't have a network, all I have is my standard home user laptop with XP installed with VM Workstation, I would like to create a network within this... Hope you dont think I am running this ON a network

Comment

Nat is the easiest and fastest way to get them all connected and working, bridged means that u need to install the vmware bridge protocol on xp.
                      But host only means that the vm only can talk with the host.

Nat should default to vmnet8
                      make sure the vmware nat service and vmware dhcp service(if needed) are running.

And try something like I posted at the end of here.
                      http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=28848
                      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                        Nat is the easiest and fastest way to get them all connected and working, bridged means that u need to install the vmware bridge protocol on xp.
                        But host only means that the vm only can talk with the host.

Nat should default to vmnet8
                        make sure the vmware nat service and vmware dhcp service(if needed) are running.

And try something like I posted at the end of here.
                        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=28848

I have done exactly as you have said, created new team, added both machines, set both to NAT, set my Server 03 VM to have a static IP of 192.168.1.50 and the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 (my cisco pix), also installed DHCP and created a new scope and activated this. The server machine can now access the internet, but the XP VM still cannot see my Server VM, I have also stopped the VM DHCP service as I want my server to give out addresses... Any more ideas? (cant seem to copy things from the VM machine and paste onto this laptop too)

Comment

If you are using nat, then the default gateway should be the gateway of the ip address assigned to vmnet8, the ip will be in nat settings.
                          Just for now you should use the same network address as what's assigned by nat ie 192.168.40.x

double check that xp and the server are on the same network and subnet
                          192.168.x.x

You said you can't copy things from the VM to the Laptop then that's a vmware tools issue, try to reinstall them on the virtual machine.
                          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

IPCONFIG /ALL - Run from Server 2003 VM

Windows IP Configuration
                            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mainsrv
                            Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : isa2006.local
                            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : isa2006.local

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter
                            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-FF-96-A9
                            DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.50
                            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.2
                            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

IPCONFIG /ALL - Run from XP VM

Windows IP Configuration
                            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-3828c6d4aa
                            Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
                            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : localdomain

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
                            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-82-C9-79
                            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.129
                            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.2
                            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.254
                            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.2
                            Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.169.2
                            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 December 2008 21:35:13
                            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 December 2008 22:05:13

[COLOR=black]Still have the same problem, Server 2003 machine seems to be ok, just itself and the XP VM cannot see eachother...
                            Last edited by noob0259; 27th January 2009, 12:21.

Comment

your xp machine is still geting it's dhcp information from the vmware dhcp server. you can disable it in services.msc

also make sure that no firewalls are enabled on both.

also give the xp machine a try with a static ip address, subnet/gateway.

also you want both machines to be using the same dns server.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Working...
                              X