No announcement yet.

VM question on increasing MEM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM question on increasing MEM

First post go easy.

I'm new to VMware, but I have created and running, WinXp VM for home use.
    Just trying to learn a little about what it can/can't do, is it's speed comparable to the host operating system ect.

My question is now that I have it running can I increase the memory allocation or does it require starting from scratch and reloading windows. I only allocated 64K. I'm now thinking 250K or 512K maybe more, you suggest??

Question 2: Same situation as the first question except I would like to increase the disk allocation from 8 gig to some larger size. (is a do over required??)

If either question is possible without a complete rework please inform me as to how this can be accomplished.

Host system:
    Windows XP
    200 gig HD
    4 gig RAM

Thanks for any help!

Re: VM question on increasing MEM

Presumably you mean 64MB... XP on 64K of RAM would be...

Which VMware product are you using? I believe most if not allow all will allow you to change the memory allocation - VMware Workstation certainly does.

As for increasing the size of the hard drive, again this will depend on which product you're using. Google will tell you what you want to know...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

To change the amount of RAM that is allocated to a VM:

Shut down the VM. Go to the Settings for the VM. Go to the RAM setting and edit as required.

To increase the size of a harddrive check out this link and follow method 2.

Let us know how you get on.
      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Guys, none of you was disturbed by the fact that this post deals with VMWare, so it resides in the wrong forum?
        Moved to VMWAre forum...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.