X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare ESX for branch office

Hi

I am new to this forum.

We are planning on upgrading/implementing our current setup, to VMWare ESX, with high availablity. The load on the server itself is not too high in the branch offices.
    We have approached couple of vendors in the market to provide us with a solution for our requirement.
    IBM vendors have proposed 2 * X3650 server & SAN storage(DS4200), which will have the VM's. One server will be sitting idle, and will be used for failover. It is a bit overkill for the budget, as we have 20 branches, and we run a 16/7 business, which needs high availablity.
    Can the experts please help.

Thanks in advance

TS

Re: VMWare ESX for branch office

I know this is a vmware forum, but have you considered using xenserver for this? I use both vmware and xen and xens high availability features seem better, as it can failover to different hardware without the need to reboot the guest os...

If you're on a budget, xen is an option that you should investigate.

Comment

Our experience with VMWARE has been so far very good, as far as the GSX is concerned. Now we are venturing into ESX market, and not sure which hardware to choose, which will be optimal, in pricing and high availablity.

Xen is an area which we dont want to get in to now.

Thanks

TS

Comment

Can you please elaborate on what you are trying to achieve.

What is you current setup?

And anyone who suggest leaving 50% of your hardware idle for no reason - needs his head checked!!
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

We run mostly a DB server, and a fileserver, both are not heavy load, running on windows 2003. There is also a middleware machine. What we are trying to achieve is to have minimal downtime for the DB server and the fileserver. The branches are working 16 hours a day, and we want to have as much availablity as possible. Thanks TS

Comment

Active/standby is an older philosophy that doesn't fit well within the sprit of virtualization. A better solution would be to use an active/active configuration where the VMs can benefit from the resources on each active host. Size your environment appropriately so that in the event of a host failure, the other host has enough capacity to service all VMs.

Be sure the hardware components you use are supported on the VMware ESX/ESXi Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) along with the shared storage. You're going to be using shared storage such as SAN or iSCSI correct?

Jas
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jas. We are planning to put a share storage , yes.. iSCSI or SAN, whichever is a better option as far as cost is concerned. What i am not sure is, what are the cost effective options here, when it comes to these servers & storage boxes. Active Active, is certainly is good option, i totally agree with you.

Comment

When you're looking at storage or host hardware. The question is not what is best, it's what's best for the business (read: cost effective). I could put you onto SAN storage because of it's speed and redundancy characteristics which will be more attractive than iSCSI, however, that comes it a price tag your business may not have a budget for. iSCSI has become quite popular and has come a long way to the point that it is cutting into market share of SAN and other higher end storage.
                VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Is the solution 2 ESX servers per branch office?
                  Maish
                  Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                  VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                  MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                  A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                  If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Yes. 2 ESX per branch is what we were thinking. I know, the cost increases with that. Do we have an alternative / better solution ?

Comment

Originally posted by tech.support.b View Post
                      Yes. 2 ESX per branch is what we were thinking. I know, the cost increases with that. Do we have an alternative / better solution ?
                      Please answer the question "What would happen if your one and only ESX host at the branch went down". Role play the scenario and the answer might be an easy one. Cost of a second/redundant host could be minor in comparison to the cost of a longer term outage.

I see some people scale up, wanting to build a single humungo host for production. Why? My suggestion is to split the host in half. Build two middle of the road hosts for the same amount of money plus additional licensing features if you want the VMotion, DRS, HA, etc. It's money very well spent in my opinion and in the opinion of many others.

Comment

Working...
                      X