Upgrading ESXi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading ESXi

I recently setup ESXi on my old machine and have it working nicely with a few virtual servers and workstations. The only problem is I have the version that has the problem with the date and starting machines.

I've set the BIOS date on the server back a year so that it works but now I've got time to do the update, however for some reason I don't seem to be able to login and download it I would like to start again and change a few HDDs round anyway so if I install how is the best way to keep my current VMs? Is it possible to copy them all the my main PC and then copy back once I've done a fresh EXSi install?

Thanks

Re: Upgrading ESXi

Originally posted by gotenks1321 View Post
    I recently setup ESXi on my old machine and have it working nicely with a few virtual servers and workstations. The only problem is I have the version that has the problem with the date and starting machines.

I've set the BIOS date on the server back a year so that it works but now I've got time to do the update, however for some reason I don't seem to be able to login and download it I would like to start again and change a few HDDs round anyway so if I install how is the best way to keep my current VMs? Is it possible to copy them all the my main PC and then copy back once I've done a fresh EXSi install?

Thanks
    Download the new ESXi 3.5 Update 3 .iso and rebuild your host. When asked, be sure not to delete existing VMs on storage that it finds. I believe the installer also gives you the option to upgrade. I've only done a few installs of ESXi. Tread carefully.

As far as backup options, how many VMs do you have and how much .vmdk storage are we talking about?

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Upgrading ESXi

Thanks for the help

I found this guide and did it using the Virtual Infrastructure Client Downloaded the updates manually from the VMWare website and cached them using the client. Web update wouldn't work for some reason

Will still need to backup my VMs at some point to change HDDs. I have about 7 now, using 8Gb space each on an 80Gb HDD. I'm thinking about moving them off of there and onto a machine I've going to build and install FreeNAS on. Use RAID 5 and then it gives me the redundancy I'll need, it may only be a test rig but I still don't want to lose it all

Comment

Working...
      X