Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUID of ESXi 3.5 virtual machine

Hi all,

Not been on here for a little while but was wondering if you could help shed some light on a little problem I'm having.

I've got WDS installed on a virtual win2k3 server and am trying to get it working with a virtual XP SP2 client. It's all setup and works fine so now I'm starting to play around with unattended setups and prestaging names etc. The problem I've run into is trying to get the GUID of the client. It shows up when I do a network boot and I have put that into AD as a managed machine, however AD doesn't accept that it's a valid number. Is there somewhere else I can extract it from and double check that i've got the right one?

Thanks

Re: GUID of ESXi 3.5 virtual machine

Do you have a spare physical box you could try it on? I suspect this is more likely to be a WDS issue rather than a VMWare issue.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You'll have to forgive me as it's Monday morning here - what is WDS?
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Windows Deployment Services. It's what replaced RIS in Server 2008 and Server 2003 SP2. It's designed to handle the images used by Vista and Server 2003, but can still deploy legacy images if you know where to look.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Do you have a spare physical box you could try it on? I suspect this is more likely to be a WDS issue rather than a VMWare issue.
          I believe you might be right there. I've only got a remote connection to the server at the moment but will check when I get home. It's my first time playing with WDS so it could well be as simple as user error

Next fun thing is Unattended setups so best go do some more research.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
            You'll have to forgive me as it's Monday morning here - what is WDS?
            What Gareth said We currently use Ghost here but the cost of licenses we would need to do all our machines and the extra schools we serve would be through the roof. Plus I'm starting my MCSE and it's part of the XP exam I'm about to start tonight

Comment

With WDS installation of the OS and Group Policy installation of software, I see little point these days for something like Ghost. Especially when you have to buy client licences for it.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal - push an image out and that's pretty much it. On the other hand, it can be a nightmare to manage those images. If all you're deploying is vanilla Windows and then building on that, then you greatly reduce the management hassle, just at the expense of a few extra hours to setup a machine.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Exactly, that's why I've taken it upon myself to learn WDS and then push it out to the network manager and senior management. Everything is already there for it so it just makes sense.

Forgetting the naming for a while as now I'm having trouble getting the unattended setup to recognise the VMSCSI drivers Any ideas?

I've created a RemBoot.sif and added in the following lines:
                [Unattended]
                OemPreinstall = Yes
                OemPnPDriversPath = "Drivers\vmscsi"
                I've then created the following folders and copied the drivers into them:

RemoteInstall\Setup\%language\Images\%dir_name%\$o em$\$1\Drivers\vmscsi

I've then attached it to the image and set the workstation to build but it keeps coming back and saying it can't find the HDDs.

Edit: Ignore the space in "oem", it isn't really there lol

Comment

Try IDE drives, if ESX supports that.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

ESXi only supports SCSI disks

I think it's best to sort this out rather than find a workaround as I may run into the same problem in the future with network cards. If I can figure out how to add drivers as and when needed then there should be no future problems with new hardware etc
                    Last edited by gotenks1321; 10th November 2008, 17:00.

Comment

Got it

Link for anyone for future reference
                      http://communities.vmware.com/messag...05A590BBF4DE78

Now it's onto the Prestaging names and tweaking the rest of the .sif file.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

If I wasn't having so much fun with VMware, I'd be diving head first into Windows Server 2008.
                        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                        X