folder structure ESX 3.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folder structure ESX 3.5

I used VEEAM to copy virtual machine for ESX 3.5 (testing env.)
    and found duplicate folder.

I would like to know what is it for the folder with Numbers in name.
    It contains the exact copy of storage1 folder that contains Virtual machines.

See attach.
    Attached Files
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: folder structure ESX 3.5

That would be one of your VMFS volumes (well, the long device name for it anyway). You know it as "storage1" which is symbolic link that points to the long device name. As you've already discovered, the the device name of the folder and storage1 are essentially the same thing.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I thought about this but VDMK file for each machine is the same file size.

Ex. for machine zeus - 16GB in both Stortage1 and <long name>
      So I decided that it's a duplicate and not a link.

Please explain why the link is the same size as original data folder.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

They are the same folder. storage1 is the "friendly name" you assigned (or VMware assigned) when the VMFS volume was created.

The long string folder name is what VMware uses to reference the VMFS volume. If you look inside a .vmx file, you'll see references to that long string folder name providing the VM or some portion of the VM such as the VMKernel swap is located on that VMFS volume.

It's just VMware smoke and mirrors. They are the same folders. If you are an old hand at DOS, think of it like the SUBST command where you can create a new phantom drive letter that is a mirror of a physical drive letter. In this case, storage1 is the phantom, and the long string folder name is the original.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Nice explanation.

Yesterday, when I copied (there is no option move) VM Juno from ESX Storage1 to my workstation my Juno disappeared from both long string and Storage1. I did JUST COPY. Why it was moved, is a question.
          May be you can answer?

So I decided to copy it back to Storage1. I will see in the evening if it will appear in long string folder. It should confirm your explanation.

Comment

VMware storage browser and Veeam Fast SCP both have native copy and move capabilities. If you are feeling limited, you will need to learn the tools better.

Comment

Jason,
              Sure I will...
              can you tell please why copy moved the machine...

BTW, I copied back the machine to Storage1 and it appears in Long string.
              This confirms your previous explanation.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mla View Post
                Jason,
                Sure I will...
                can you tell please why copy moved the machine...
                The only explanation I can offer is that perhaps you _thought_ you were copying but you were actually moving. This falls into one of those categories where computers generally obey explicit instructions and rarely (and arbitrarily) disobey them. There is much greater possibility here that this was human error.

Or you found a bug in the software, submit a support case with the vendor.

Originally posted by mla View Post
                BTW, I copied back the machine to Storage1 and it appears in Long string.
                This confirms your previous explanation.

Thanks.
                I hope you sleep better tonight.

Comment

Before I will contact VEEAM tech I will try to do copy again.
                  When you emphasize <human factor> I think may be I just drug and dropped the machine... The interface is so good
                  But as I told there is no option MOVE and even if drug and drop doing MOVE it is not so good.

Thanks.

Comment

The default drag'n'drop action in Veeam is move, not copy. This points back to you needing to know the interface well enough and not assuming it behaves like Windows. If you want to copy, hold down the CTRL key when dragging and dropping.

Jas

Comment

but I drug and dropped it to another computer's disk...
                      It's Danger. Cannot believe. But you told it's not Windows.
                      NOW I know

BTW, I tried the copied machine from ESX 3.5 on Server 2 and it run fine without any conversion. May be it's well known fact but I just tried.

Thanks again.

Comment

>If you want to copy, hold down the CTRL key when dragging and dropping

I will better right-click and choose Copy. There is no Move at least

But the software is great. I have to dig more into.

Comment

I've talked to Veeam on Twitter on your behalf and they have forwarded this native drag and drop behavior feedback to Veeam developers. They are aware of this thread.

Jas

Comment

When people talk, Veeam listens. Know that you had an impact on future versions of the Veeam product.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Jason.

Comment

Working...
                              X