Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware Converter

Scenario:

Single 2003 64 Bit running Virtual Center and converter. Plenty of disk space (60 GIG Free) on a mirror and memory 2 GIG. New Dell machine.

-Had issues with virtual center being unable to connect to host issues after system reboot
    -resolved -by wiping out virtual center converter, license server etc

-Installed the latest and greatest of virtual center, converter etc.
    -Virtual center works OK after 2003 reboot

-Converter does not work stays at about 2-4 % mark then fails during a "other" to V of restoring VCB mounted files.
    -Also fails during a P to V unable to install agent on remote machine "vmware converter agent install failed null"

Any thoughts!!!

Re: Vmware Converter

Make sure your VCMS is service packed. Win2k3 w/ no service pack is not supported. I don't remember if 64-bit Windows is supported but I will make an assumption that it is.

Are you using the 3.x or 4.x Converter cold clone boot .iso?

I've had issues in the past P2Ving through Virtual Center and had better luck converting straight to an ESX host. Try that.

Read the error logs. Anything helpful in there?

Beyond that, take it to the VMware Converter forums at http://communities.vmware.com/commun...mgmt/converter where there is a lot of exposure to Converter specific issues.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jasonboche,

It looks like the problem was due to the virtual shadow service not being started on the virtual center server.

Regarding "converting straight to an ESX host." Unsure of what you mean isn't P2V for converting physical or images to virtuasl machines. Please clarify so I can examine all of my options.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Yes, P2V is creating virtual machines, but with VMware Converter, you have the option of specifying a specific ESX host rather than a VirtualCenter server for placement of the P2V'd VM. When you place a P2V'd VM on an ESX host that is managed by VirtualCenter, it will show up in VC automatically anyway in the default folder for discovered VMs.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X