Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solarwinds VM Monitor Help

Hi all

I've just started to learn and get to grips with VMWare Server 3.5.

I read David Davies article on Solarwinds free monitor software for VMWare so I downloaded and installed the software. I went then to my server (incidently with no VM running atm as it is still a test configuration) using PuTTY, logged on and then su root etc to get to the command line.

I then found my SNMPD.conf file (no SNMP.conf at that location) and edited it with the community string.

My problem then was when I entered chkconfig snmpd on the command line replied "chkconfig: command not found"

Undaunted I thought I would start the service. And you guessed it "service: command not found"

I puzzled round this for a few hours now and either I'm working on a VMWare Server 3.5 (full - not ESXi) that no one else has got or I'm doing something really stupid (probably the latter )

Also when I tried to connect Solarwinds gave me the error message Test Failed: 192.168.1.10 responded to pong , but did not reply to this community string - does this mean that the service may not be running?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by dipper17; 1st November 2008, 11:59. Reason: More information

Re: Solarwinds VM Monitor Help

If this is about VMware, why is it in the Virtual PC forum? Flagged for a mod to move.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thread moved to VMWare forum.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by dipper17 View Post
        Hi all

I've just started to learn and get to grips with VMWare Server 3.5.
        VMware Server 3.5 doesn't exist. You mean VMware Server 1.0.x or 2.0, or ESX 3.5, or ESXi 3.5.

I read David Davies article on Solarwinds free
        David Davis

monitor software for VMWare so I downloaded and installed the software. I went then to my server (incidently with no VM running atm as it is still a test configuration) using PuTTY, logged on and then su root etc to get to the command line.

I then found my SNMPD.conf file (no SNMP.conf at that location) and edited it with the community string.

My problem then was when I entered chkconfig snmpd on the command line replied "chkconfig: command not found"
        chkconfig is located in /sbin/

Undaunted I thought I would start the service. And you guessed it "service: command not found"
        sbin is located in /sbin/

I puzzled round this for a few hours now and either I'm working on a VMWare Server 3.5 (full - not ESXi) that no one else has got or I'm doing something really stupid (probably the latter )

Also when I tried to connect Solarwinds gave me the error message Test Failed: 192.168.1.10 responded to pong , but did not reply to this community string - does this mean that the service may not be running?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
        I've seen in previous builds of ESX where, for some unknown reason, the service console loses its search path. Reboot your ESX host and try your commands again.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi all

Managed to sort this one out myself - just needed to punch a hole through the firewall for SNMP then connected first time.

Cheers

Comment

Awesome!
            Totally Awesome!!
            :rders a pizza::
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
            X