Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello, ESX query!!!

Hi! Guys,
    Nice to be a part of this wonderful site. I have gained a lot by visiting it.
    I have a question on vmware esx 3.5.

I have been using the Update manager to update the ESX 3.5 host.

Iam aware the updates can be downloaded into a user specified folder on the Virtual Centre during installation of the update manager and after we remediate, they will be applied to the host via the VC update manager.

So, my questions are:

1) Where will the updates will be applied on the esx Host. To which partition(s)?
    2) How can I view the partitions on the esx host and how to modify them just in case the updates fill the specific partition.

Any Help would be appreciated!

Thank you
    Regards

Re: hello, ESX query!!!

1) Unsure of where the patches are applied but my best guess would be the root or /.

2) You can use WINscp free)utility to view XFR and delete files on your root drive. Need to enable Remote connection first.

Generally with todays drives space is usually not an issue especially the way ESx is designed.

/boot 250 MB
    swap 1600 MB
    / 25 GIG or bigger
    /var 15 GB
    /tmp 2048 MB
    /opt 2048 MB
    /home 2048MB
    vmkcore 100 MB

Comment

Re: hello, ESX query!!!

Originally posted by hvmadhuna View Post
      Hi! Guys,
      Nice to be a part of this wonderful site. I have gained a lot by visiting it.
      I have a question on vmware esx 3.5.

I have been using the Update manager to update the ESX 3.5 host.

Iam aware the updates can be downloaded into a user specified folder on the Virtual Centre during installation of the update manager and after we remediate, they will be applied to the host via the VC update manager.

So, my questions are:

1) Where will the updates will be applied on the esx Host. To which partition(s)?
      It depends on how you've partitioned. I've never actually looked on the host side during VUM patching, but my guess is patches temporarily extract to /tmp. If you don't have a /tmp partition, they'll extract to /. They will install to /, /var, /opt, /usr, /etc. Depends on what the patch was designed to update.

Originally posted by hvmadhuna View Post
      2) How can I view the partitions on the esx host and how to modify them just in case the updates fill the specific partition.
      View the partitions with the command vdf -h

You don't modify partitions after the host is built. That's why you plan your partitioning carefully up front and develop a partitioning standard before you deploy your hosts.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X