virtual lan card for virtual switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virtual lan card for virtual switch

Hi all, well i want to isolate some machines on my ESX server 3.5 , when im working on a machine with more than one network cards, i create a virtual switch and isolate the machines which i want to keep out of other network, but in my current situation i want to do it in a server with one lan card, this server i want to isolate some machines on it to just interact with themselves withot interactio with other lan, i created a virtual switch but its not appear in the list of virtual switches causes it's not assigned to a lan card, can i create a virtual lan card for this virtual switch ? or any other workaround ? i just want to have these machines isolated in one v siwtch, while they are using the same ips of the real servers, thanks so much.
    m.emam
    mcsa mcse

Re: virtual lan card for virtual switch

Let me see If I understand this correctly.

You want to have some machines connected to a virtual switch that will not be able to connect to anything else outside of the physical host.

so you created a vswitch and did not attach it to a physical vmnic

Any vm that is connected to this Vswitch will not be able to communicate outside the server. All you will hae to do is set the virtual machines network settings to use this portgroup. Each machine connected this portgroup will be able to communicate with each other (providing the IP's are correct of course).

If I misunderstood - can you please show a small diagram to explain better what you are trying to accomplish?
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Re: virtual lan card for virtual switch

Thanks, thats what i ment, i just thought i must assign this virtual switch to a physical lan card, stupid me.
      m.emam
      mcsa mcse

Comment

Working...
      X