ESx 3.5 and VCB Best backup strategies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESx 3.5 and VCB Best backup strategies

Scenario, 4 ESX Hosts (3.5) 4 guests on each host for 16 VM's total. Hosts are connected to ISCSI array. Two separate 2003 machines running Virtual center and the other, VCB which also has backup EXEC installed.

What would be you advice on backups? The guest can be backed up using VCB but where would you store the Guest VM's files if they are stored on the VCB proxy is that not a bit risky?

I am guessing the the hosts cannot be backed up?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Re: ESx 3.5 and VCB Best backup strategies

Originally posted by handy1994 View Post
    Scenario, 4 ESX Hosts (3.5) 4 guests on each host for 16 VM's total. Hosts are connected to ISCSI array. Two separate 2003 machines running Virtual center and the other, VCB which also has backup EXEC installed.

What would be you advice on backups? The guest can be backed up using VCB but where would you store the Guest VM's files if they are stored on the VCB proxy is that not a bit risky?

I am guessing the the hosts cannot be backed up?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
    The idea of a VCB Proxy server would be to snapshot the VM's (guests) to the Proxy machine - and from there to backup to tape or disk - whatever you prefer.

The machines should not be stored permanently on the proxy server - but you must take into account the disk space you will need on the proxy server to store the VM's before they are backed up.

About backing up hosts - you can either install a backupEXEC linux agent in the host or alternatively - document the installation and then prepare a kickstart installation to restore it. It should not really take longer than 30 minutes to re-install - if you prepare it correctly.
    Last edited by Maish; 27th October 2008, 06:21.
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

I don't bother backing up my hosts. If I can't fix a host problem in 10 minutes, I can rebuild 10 hosts in the time it would probably take to track down more complex host issues.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you Gents, good point it is easy to build the hosts. Just thought I would ask!!

Comment

Working...
        X