Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console Access To Virtual Solaris System

Hi,

This may not be the most appropriate forum to put this in but I couldn't see any that are Solaris/UNIX oriented.

I manage several ESX hosts and one of them hosts a virtual Solaris system. I have a request from that Solaris team for console access (to the VM) in order to apply patches which they think requires ESX (ViClient) access which, if this was extended to every VM owner, would be ridiculous so my question is what other way can I provide them with console access to that VM (I thought *nix systems could do that kind of stuff via a terminal session). Woudn't a PuTTY session to the VM achieve this?

Any advice appreciated.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Console Access To Virtual Solaris System

PuTTY is console via SSH over a network transport protocol, not "true console".

Console access options are:
    1. PuTTY (or any SSH client)
    2. VIC (you should really limit its distribution, think about upgrades and security, plus larger numbers of VIC sessions take a toll)
    3. Web console (http://esxhostname) log into Web Interface. Roles/permissions are assigned in VirtualCenter. As in the VIC, in the Web UI, users only see what you want them to see based on permissions.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      PuTTY is console via SSH over a network transport protocol, not "true console".

Console access options are:
      1. PuTTY (or any SSH client)
      2. VIC (you should really limit its distribution, think about upgrades and security, plus larger numbers of VIC sessions take a toll)
      3. Web console (http://esxhostname) log into Web Interface. Roles/permissions are assigned in VirtualCenter. As in the VIC, in the Web UI, users only see what you want them to see based on permissions.
      Thanks Jas,

I can't seem to access via web (the ESX server web i/f works but not when I try to login, maybe it hasn't been configured) so I guess it has to be via ViClient ... I'm relatively new to VMWare, how would I go about configuring an account that has access only to that machine and cannot change its resources or anything like that (so, console access only I suppose)?

Kyu
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Accounts, Roles, and Permissions can be set up using the Virtual Infrastructure Client connecting straight to your ESX host (using local host based accounts), or connect to VirtualCenter (if you have it) where you can apply permissions to other objects than just hosts and VMs. VirtualCenter also integrates with Active Directory meaning you can leverage AD accounts for roles and permissions.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X