ESXi and backups.. what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi and backups.. what to do?

In the next few days i will be implementing our first VM ESXi server. We area green company as a whole, but the IT department is a bit behind on following suit. This is the first step in doing our part.

For now we only have one host we will be creating on this new server running ESXi with more to come in the future. My question is, what are my options to backup either the vsd file or the host itself.

We use Backup Exec 12 currently, but am upgrading to 12.5 to take advantage of the VM Backup options it offers.

Do I install my backup exec agent on the host OS or am I required to purchase the new Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures.

Any ideas or assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike

Re: ESXi and backups.. what to do?

I do not think that there is a backup solution that will backup an ESX3i host (on a host level)

You have options of backing up the guests one at a time with backup agent in each of them. This can cause excessive load on the ESX host if all the machines are backed up at the same time.

You can store the VM's on central storage (iscsi/NFS/Fiber) and back that up with your conventional backup.

You can also use VMware's VCB solution.

My question is, what are my options to backup either the vsd file or the host itself.
    VMware uses a vmdk file not vsd.

Please provide a bit more detail as to how you will set up your storage and Virtual Infrastructure
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

You can back up at file level in the virtual machine like you would back up on a normal server/os (but inside the virtual machine)

You can back up the entire virtual host directory. If you shut the virtual machine down and then backup the whole directory that it is in.

at minimum u could do a snapshot of the vm.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi
        try this baby

http://www.itsallvirtual.com/utiliti...orutility.html

it should help you backup the config of your esx settings and also restore it !

and it's free

it's so great you have this kind of people out there that are writing this cool tools for free

Haim

Comment

The ESX/ESXi agent is > $1000 as far as I know. You can still do the normal agents installed to the VMs though.

Comment

You can backup the vm's at the host level using BackupExec's VM agent, but it requires you to have VCB. You can backup the guest OS at the guest level by installing the BE remote agent on the guest. I prefer to do both. You can use the BackupExec GRT option with the VM agent as well.

Comment

Working...
            X