No announcement yet.

vmware workstation/server.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmware workstation/server.

Hi, i've been running (at home) vmware workstation 6.5 nicely for some time, with 4 servers n a xp client.
    I've just seen a job that states must have knowledge of vmware server.
    Does server differ much from workstation?

Plus, the backup and restore of a virtual devices, would this mean the entire vm? If so what's the best practice?

On my vmware workstation, i just back up the directory that the vm is installed in.

Any ideas?
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: vmware workstation/server.

Many VMware products share common similarities, however, each boast features that make them unique. VMware Workstation 6.5 and VMware Server 2.0 both just came out on 9/23. If you know Workstation well, then you're probably 90-90% covered. Workstation has more (new) features than Server does due to the evolution of how new features are introduced to the VMware products. The largest difference between the two products is the remote console web interface which was just revamped in Server 2.0. GSX and Server had been running the remote web interface console on IIS for years. In Server 2.0, the web interface is now based on Tomcat and the IIS component is no longer needed. Server 2.0 is a free download so grab it, install it, and get familiar with it.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.