• Show
Clear All

• Using Sysprep for 2003 64 bit guests on ESX 3.5

Infrastructure:

4 ESX 3.5 nodes all same 64 bit Dell 1950 hardware
    8 2003 guests are also 64 bit.
    Virtual center installed on 32 bit 2003
    ISCSI SAN

Tried both of these sites regarding using a template.

Sysprep taken from 64 bit CD http://www.applicationdelivery.co.uk...tual-machines/

http://virtrix.blogspot.com/2007/05/...ng-custom.html

The "customize using the setup wizard" in virtual center is grayed out. Is it because Virtual Center is installed on a 2003 32 bit operating system? supposed virtual center (2.5) is not 64 bit compatible.

Re: Using Sysprep for 2003 64 bit guests on ESX 3.5

VC doesn't need to be 64-bit for 64-bit guest customizations. I'm confident your issue is that sysprep is not in the correct folder on your VC management server (or you extracted it incorrectly - it's a bit deceptive), or a remote possibility is you have the wrong sysprep version.

The most current 64-bit sysprep version can be found in MS KB article 926028 (the same sysprep version is used for both XP 64-bit and Win2k3 64-bit)

The placement of the extracted files is critical so that VC can find them. The KB926028 download extracts to a hierarchy of files and folders. Inside of a folder called SP2QFE is a file called DEPLOY.CAB. Extract the contents of DEPLOY.CAB to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003-64\ on your VirtualCenter management server.

When you're done, your VC directory structure should look exactly like the screenshot posted below.

Viola, you're done. Wasn't that easy?

Now, since win2k3x64 uses the same sysprep version as xpx64, copy the contents of
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003-64\
    to
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp-64\
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jasonboche; 8th October 2008, 17:39.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep

Is the current directory. should I create svr2003-64 under the sysprep folder?Thank you

Comment

Yes, and follow exactly what I recommended above.

Hope that helps!
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

IT WORKED.....!!!!!!!Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

Comment

I'm pretty confident that I have followed the above instructions completely but it is still greyed out for me. When I extracted the contents of Deploy.cab I had a couple of extra files that do not appear in your screenshot. I tried with those files in there and then tried deleting the files but neither option worked. I also tried restarting the VC service and still get the message that the customization resources were not found on the server...

Since I created the Template I have moved VC onto a new server - could it be related to this at all?

Do I need to recreate the Template now that the files are there or should I be able to deploy an existing Template and have the Customization apply to it?

Any help much appreciated.

Comment

If you are missing files from the screenshot (other than the .zip file), it's not going to work.

Retrace the steps outlined above and be sure the directory structure and files contained in it match.

Jas

Comment

Got it. It wasn't that I had missing files - it was that I had the wrong file versions. I went to the KB article that you suggested and clicked on the first link to go to the download page and then clicked on download as the supported Operating Systems included x64... However if you look at the bottom of the page int he 'what others are downloading' section there is a link called:

System Preparation tool for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Deployment (x64)

Once I went here and downloaded the files it all worked fine.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by raglandan View Post
                  Got it. It wasn't that I had missing files - it was that I had the wrong file versions. I went to the KB article that you suggested and clicked on the first link to go to the download page and then clicked on download as the supported Operating Systems included x64... However if you look at the bottom of the page int he 'what others are downloading' section there is a link called:

System Preparation tool for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Deployment (x64)

Once I went here and downloaded the files it all worked fine.

Thanks for your help

Blame MS for screwy download links. MS KB article 926028 is the correct KB as I stated above, however, both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SYSPREP are published under the same MS KB article 926028. It's not as clear as it probably should be as far as what version you're downloading. I apologize on Microsoft's behalf for the confusion.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X