Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESX not coming online during reboot (after patching)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX not coming online during reboot (after patching)

Hi,
    I rebooted the ESX this morning after patching, and now I'm getting the following error:

"root (0;0)

file system type is ext2fs, partition type 0X3 uppermem 277504

kernel = --no-mem-option /vmlinuz-2.4.21-47.0.1.Elvmnix ro root UUID=f228cd6d3-75a1-4c8d-bbb7-bdc5cc09777f mem=272m

[Linux-bzImage, setup = 0X1400, szie = 0X14e372}

initrd /initrd-2.4.21-47.0.1.ELvmnix.img

Error 15 file not found "

The patch is ESX350-200808201-UG - PATCH

Sorry for my ignorance in this, but I'm very limited in knowledge when it comes to Linux commands to reload the kernel or load the right kernel.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Judy

Re: ESX not coming online during reboot (after patching)

That doesn't sound pleasant. I'm not a certified Linux expert either. Is this a redundant host in a cluster or is this a standalone ESX host and all VMs are currently down? Local or SAN/iSCSI/shared storage? Boot from SAN? When was the original build date of this ESX host and has it suffered any power outages or ungraceful shutdowns that could have corrupted the file system? I would recommend a fscheck. Are you able to boot into single user mode?

Patch details:
    This bundle updates the following RPMs: VMware-esx-apps, VMware-esx-tools,
    VMware-esx-vmkctl, VMware-esx-vmkernel, VMware-esx-vmx, VMware-hostd-esx,
    kernel-source, kernel-vmnix, VMware-esx-ima-qla4xxx, VMware-esx-iscsi,
    and VMware-esx-perftools.

For details, see KB 1005894 at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005894.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I was finally able to get into the "troubleshooting mode". In looking at the log file, it's looking for:
      esxcfg-boot: 2008-10-07 08:12:01 (847) ERROR: Could not copy '/boot/initrd-2.4.21-47.0.1.ELvmnix.img' to '/tmp/vmware.0.tmp': No such file or directory
      When I look at the grub.conf file:
      vmware:configversion 1
      # grub.conf generated by anaconda
      #
      # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
      # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
      # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
      # root (hd0,0)
      # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p2
      # initrd /initrd-version.img
      #boot=/dev/cciss/c0d0
      timeout=10
      default=0
      title VMware ESX Server
      #vmware:autogenerated esx
      root (hd0,0)
      uppermem 277504
      kernel --no-mem-option /vmlinuz-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix ro root=UUID=f28cd6d3-75a1-4c8d-bbb7-bdc5cc09777f mem=272M
      initrd /initrd-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix.img
      title VMware ESX Server (debug mode)
      root (hd0,0)
      uppermem 277504
      kernel --no-mem-option /vmlinuz-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix ro root=UUID=f28cd6d3-75a1-4c8d-bbb7-bdc5cc09777f mem=272M console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 debug
      initrd /initrd-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix.img-dbg
      title Service Console only (troubleshooting mode)
      root (hd0,0)
      uppermem 277504
      kernel --no-mem-option /vmlinuz-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix ro root=UUID=f28cd6d3-75a1-4c8d-bbb7-bdc5cc09777f mem=272M tblsht
      initrd /initrd-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix.img-sc
      Which is pointing to a different file.
      So, more than likely I need to find the "initrd-2.4.21-47.0.1.ELvmnix.img" file.

When I look in the boot directory, this file is missing, except for the "initrd-2.4.21-57.ELvmnix.img"

So, I'm betting I have to find this find and move it back to the boot directory?

Thanks!
      Judy

Comment

So far, that's just one of the files that is in question. What if there are more? Will you be able to sleep at night? Do you want to risk the uptime of your VMs on a host in poor or uncertain health? Unless you are confident that replacing this file will resolve all known and unknown problems, I'd just rebuild the host. I can build a fully configured and patched host in 50 minutes or less using scripts I've developed myself or borrowed. You can continue to pursue this issue, open an SR with VMware, etc. or you can cut your losses and rebuild the host. I don't believe the patch installation caused the problem. I believe the patch installation forced a reboot which has uncovered an underlying problem caused since the last reboot of the host.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

I took your suggestion and rebuilt the ESX host server. Everything went smoothly, and I can see my datastores with the VMDK files.

Now, the real questions is how can I can manage those virtual machines?

Do I need to run the VM converter and then import the appliance???

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Judy

Comment

SOLVED! ESX not coming online during reboot (after patching)

SOLVED!
            I browse the datastore and was able to add it to the inventory.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Re: SOLVED! ESX not coming online during reboot (after patching)

Excellent! Sorry I didn't get to your post in time to answer your last question but glad you figured it out - pretty easy using VMware ehh?

Jas

Comment

Yes, and a big sigh of relief too, even though this is a lab box.

I do have one issue. Every time via the VI client, when I try to add a hard disk, assign it to a SCSI drive to one of the VM, I'm getting an error "The request failed because the server closed the connection". And then I get the error that I lost the connection to the ESX host.

I'm dumbfounded, since I can run a script to create virtual disk via the backend, so I know it's not the connection to the datastore. BTW, the datastore is an HP MSA where I'm housing all VMs.

Have you seen this problem?

BTW, thanks for you insight and support.

Judy

Comment

You're using the Virtual Infrastructure Client to connect directly to the ESX host (using root or equivelent permissions?) or to Virtual Center (as a user with the necessary role to add virtual hardware?)?

It sounds to me like a network connectivity issue between the VIC and the ESX host (or VirtualCenter Management Server). Is the network stable? High latency?

Comment

I know its to late since you already rebuilt.

I ran into the same issue and the following link help resolve my issue.

http://www.vifaq.com/index.php?optio...id=19&Itemid=2

In my case debug mode didnt work but it worked fine from troubleshooting mode.

Solution:

- boot in debug mode
                    - esxcfg-boot -p
                    - esxcfg-boot -b
                    - esxcfg-boot -r
                    - reboot in normal mode

Comment

Working...
                    X