Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Xen Debian VM to an ESX VM

Hello,

This is my final hurdle to being 100% ESX. I have an entire PowerEdge 2950 that is doing nothing but hosing a little, yet important, Debian LAMP server. I've yet to find clear instructions on how to migrate this machine to an ESX environment so I can be rid of Xen and get my big server back for other users.

Any input is appreciated!

-Travis

Re: Converting a Xen Debian VM to an ESX VM

The ESX installation will be happy to wipe those partitions to make way for ESX nirvana. Are you looking to P2V your Debian LAMP server or can you rebuild it inside of a VM once ESX is installed? Need to know what kind of path you're looking to take or you can afford to take.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I have a virtual server on Xen that I need to convert to a virtual server on ESX. The virtual machine in question is a Debian machine, and moving it from Xen to ESX is much more desirable than rebuilding it from scratch.

Comment

Have you tried using VMware Converter? Microsoft and Xen VMs are supposed to be compatible, and VMware Converter will convert Microsoft VMs to VMware VMs.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I tired using the consolidation route but it fails because the target is not a Windows system. Is there a how-to around here for converting a *nix machine?

-Travis

Comment

This works for me. Thereís probably other ways to do it but since I do it every blue moon. This method is fine.

Not sure that it will work for you.

XEN allows the use of IDE as well as SCSI.

1st - You need to determine if your XEN VM is IDE or SCSI
            Since ESX only allows SCSI Virtual Machines.

2nd - If your machine is IDE you need to ensure your VM kernel has either of the two SCSI drivers. BusLogic or LSI Logic built into the kernel or you can recompile your Kernel with those drivers in it. Am not sure about your flavor of Linux but am guessing it uses a grub menu if so you need to update the grub menu from hda to sda if its IDE if not you will see a Kernel Panic

Once you made those modifications to the operating system scp the image file to a windows or Linux box.

3rd - Find a tool called QEMU there are Linux and Windows formats

Run the following command
            qemu-img convert -f raw debian.image -O vmdk debian.vmdk

That converts the image from a Xen file to a VMware file then again Ive never just tried just renaming the Xen image file to VMDK.

4th - Since all the Xen migrations I've done are from XEN IDE what I do is open the converted image file in VMware Wks 6.5 you can download an EVAL create a custom VM using SCSI disk and point it to your converted VMDK. If itís an IDE you will see a message do you want to convert this image file to SCSI hit ok or yes canít remember right now.

5th - Once you see that your VM boots up in VMware wks using SCSI. SCP or Veeam that file over to your ESX host I usually throw it in the root saying I have space.

6th - Thereís a proper way of importing VMDK into VMFS volumes so then run the following command.

vmkfstools -i debian.vmdk/vmfs/volumes/storage1/debian/debian.vmdk

Of course your LUN may vary storage1 is my lab. Donít forget to create the folders

7th - Go into the VMware VIC create a new custom VM and point it to your VMDK. Power on the VM

Since am tired and I saw you posted I wanted to reply to it before I went to bed maybe you may see it tonight and have questions in the morning.

I will reread it when I get a chance and possibly clarify some of the steps.

Good Luck

Comment

Outstanding reply, thank you!

I'm looking forward to trying this out. It may be a week or two away, but I will definitely give it a shot.

I think the box is Debian Sarge.

-Travis

Comment

This is what I have for drives in the Xen VM:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                /dev/xvda1 / ext3 rw,noatime 0 1
                /dev/xvdb1 none swap defaults 0 0

Virtual IDE, correct?

Comment

Working...
                X