X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi and RAID setup

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help with this.

I have an IBM x3650 with a ServeRAID 8k SAS controller card.
    2 73GB Drives configured in RAID1
    3 146GB Drives configure in RAID5

What i was wanting to do was use the RAID1 setup for the ESXi install and then use the RAID5 configuration to use as my Datastore for my VM's.

When installing the EXSi server it gives me the option of choosing the install location, either array 1 (RAID1) or array 2 (RAID5). I choose array 1 for this installation. However when i use the VI Client to setup a new VM server all i get is the RAID1 array option as a datastore. I cannot see the RAID5 array anywhere and don't know how to go about utilising this space.

So does anyone know how to do this and if so can they please share there wisdom please?

Another question!! How i'm configuring the disks is this a good practice or should i just place them all in a one RAID configuration?

Thanks in advance

J

Re: ESXi and RAID setup

YOu should format the Raid array as a VMFS volume - that is why you can't use it.
    Also for Virtual Machine using a Raid 5 is not my favorite choice - since it is slower than Raid-1 So If would recommend that you add another drive (it is an IBM x3650 which support up to 8 drives (2") or 6 drive (3") - and than define it as Raid10.

Good luck

Oren

Comment

RAID5 will outperform RAID1 due to the increased number of spindles that a RAID5 configuration has to handle disk I/O.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by OrN View Post
        YOu should format the Raid array as a VMFS volume - that is why you can't use it.
        Oren
        Hey Oren,

Thanks for the reply and advice. I thought it had something to do with the lack of formatting.

I am something of a ESXi/Virtulization newbie and was looking for instructions as how i would go about formatting the array as a VMFS volume. Is this something that i will have to do via the command line?

Thanks for your assistance with this.

J

Comment

Creating a VMFS volume is usually done via the Virtual Infrastructure Client (VIC), however, it can also be done via command line using the VMKFSTOOLS command.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X