X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 ESX Questions: Cloning and Shortcuts

Hi there',

Question 1:

How come i don't have the cloning option?

Question 2:

Is it possible to create a desktop shortcut to a VM machine? (Like in VMware Server 2.0)

10X All!
    Last edited by LiorSAN; 2nd October 2008, 10:45.

Re: 2 ESX Questions: Cloning and Shortcuts

Question 1 - It looks like you don't have the Virtual Centre management add-on. This is where the cloning side of things is located and you have to pay for it.

If you don't have multiple ESX servers or the budget for the add-on, there are some guides on how to clone a server by hand using just ESX server and the converter. It's a bit more complicated but takes about 10 mins to create a new server so much quicker than building from scratch.

If you like, I can post our guide on how to clone with just ESX and converter or pm you a copy.

Question 2 - sorry, no idea. I'm still very very new to ESX so learning the ropes myself
    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

I would love for some guides if u have some. Notice that I need desktop shortcuts for only the VM guest OS and not for the server it self...

Comment

have a look at this posting on my blog. it's pretty much the guise we use internally for this kind of thing but with a few mods.

Enjoy!
        This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Originally posted by LiorSAN View Post
          Question 2:

Is it possible to create a desktop shortcut to a VM machine? (Like in VMware Server 2.0)
          No.

The closest you can get right now is integrated authentication (Single Sign On) in the Virtual Infrastructure Client.

Look up VMware Knowledgebase Artice 1006611
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Wait a sec, u want to tell me that a user cannot connect directly to his VM station?

Comment

Originally posted by LiorSAN View Post
              Wait a sec, u want to tell me that a user cannot connect directly to his VM station?
              Well let me modify my answer because it's not entirely correct.

There is no shortcut to a specific VM through the Virtual Infrastructure Client.

-=however=-

You can create web browser URLs to target specific VMs to open their consoles in a web browser through the VMware Web Access.
              Attached Files
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

No there are 2 options to do that without virtual Center.

1. create a local user on the esx host - give the permissions relevant to the user on the VM - but this is not an easy to manage things

2. You can also do this with the Web console. You can create a shortcut to and send that to the user

Will look something like this:

https://<Servername>/ui/vmDirect.do?view=d3NVcmw9aHR0cDovL2xvY2FsaG9zdC9zZ Gsmdm1JZD1WaXJ0dWFsTWFjaGluZXwyODgmdWk9MzY=_

You of course have the option of using a remote connection (ssh - linux / rdp -windows)
                Maish
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
                VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
                MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
                A proud husband and father of 3 girls
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

There is no shortcut to a specific VM through the Virtual Infrastructure Client.
                  not QUITE true.

There's a search box cunningly placed at the top right in the "Virtual Machines" view. Type the sought machine's name in there, and all the other machines magically disappear... leaving your one machine sitting all lonesome in the main pane.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    not QUITE true.

There's a search box cunningly placed at the top right in the "Virtual Machines" view. Type the sought machine's name in there, and all the other machines magically disappear... leaving your one machine sitting all lonesome in the main pane.
                    Not exactly what the OP is looking for. OP wants a desktop shortcut. I'm just going by the facts.

Question 2:

Comment

Thats weird u guys...
                      There is no reason not having the "Desktop Shortcut" in ESX especially when it existon Server 2.0. that is no good...

Comment

Don't look at me - I'm not a VMware developer. You and everyone else in this forum can be absolutely thankful for that.

Comment

Working...
                        X