Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly unable to connect to Virtual Center Server

Hello,

I am able to ping my VCServer, I can Remote Desktop to it, but I can't connect to it with Infrastructure Client. I get a connection error.

The same thing happens if I try to connect to it FROM it. (Connecting to 'localhost' or by IP address.)

This implies that a service is not running perhaps?

Thanks for your time,

-Travis

Re: Suddenly unable to connect to Virtual Center Server

Yup. Your VirtualCenter Management Server service has likely terminated. Restart it and examine VC the logs under c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\vmware\virtual center\ to find out what went wrong.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      Yup. Your VirtualCenter Management Server service has likely terminated. Restart it and examine VC the logs under c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\vmware\virtual center\ to find out what went wrong.
      I think I was being lazy when I posted this because I looked at that about 10 minutes later and found the service not running. I'll have to look in the logs to see why it stopped.

Thanks for the reply!

-Travis

Comment

9 times out of 10 it's a database issue (ran out of space, database server went offline or disappeared, etc.). My VMware Update Manager service used to go offline alot also when my database wasn't real stable. It uses a back end database as well.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Sigh.

I guess I need my hand held tonight.

Let me start by saying that installing ESX and consolidating several servers on my other campus went perfectly.

This time around it's nothing but problems.

Here's where I'm at:

Everything is intstalled and working fine.

I've added a physical machine to the Consolidation analasys.

When I try to import it, it fails with "Unable to find the server."

Here are the last few lines of the log file from the source machine:

2008-10-01 20:37:53.453 'App' 3752 verbose] CloseSession called for session id=4B3D67EE-48D3-43CF-873F-01A6EBE49E4D
          [2008-10-01 20:37:53.453 'VmdbAdapter' 3752 verbose] Removed vmdb connection /db/connection/#4/
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'Ufa' 2364 info] Plugin stopped
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'App' 2364 info] [plugin,135] UfaClientPlugin WaitStop
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'App' 2364 info] [plugin,147] UfaSlavePlugin WaitStop
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'App' 2364 info] [plugin,193] SysMigrationPlugin WaitStop
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'App' 2364 info] [plugin,134] SysReconfigPlugin WaitStop
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'App' 2364 info] [plugin,142] VMImporterPlugin WaitStop
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'VmdbSvc' 2364 verbose] Shutting down VMDB service...
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'VmdbSvc' 2364 verbose] Unregistering callback...
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'VmdbSvc' 2364 verbose] ...done
          [2008-10-01 20:51:52.859 'App' 2360 info] [serviceWin32,275] vmware-converter service stopped

EDIT: Looks like I'm all aces in both effort and finding KB articles at vmware.com. Now I'm trying the second machine and I fail with a "failed to open file" error.
          Last edited by TravisB; 2nd October 2008, 02:07.

Comment

There is a VMware Consolidation service - make sure that is running, along with all other VMware services on your VirtualCenter Management server that are configured to start automatically. You might even consider stopping all VMware services on the VC server and restarting them all since you did have some sort of issue with the VC service.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Consolidation account needs Remote Registry access to the candidate machine to be converted. In short, the account needs administrative permissions. I don't think this is your issue though because failure here usually happens in the analysis phase of consolidation.

Jas

Comment

What's the first Drastic Step to take?

I only have to convert two machines. One gives the "Unable to find the server" error, and the other one gives the "Can't open file" error.

I've already uninstalled every scrap of VCServer and SQL from the machine it's on now, and reinstalled it all.

When I reboot the VCServer machine, the VCService won't start, but I can do it manually.

I've totally lost my sense of humor about this. Tomorrow is my last day on the ground here and it's been a series of 14-22 hour workdays for a week.

-Travis

Comment

Is the remote registry service running on the target machines?

Comment

I'm not ignoring any replies, but the situation has changed slightly, so let me update you:

I took the physical VCServer machine offline and reinstalled the software on a different machine.

I was finally able to convert the machine that was generating the error about being unable to find the server.

One down, one to go.

The second machine that I have to consolidate is the one that is still giving me the error, "failed to open file".

Have you heard of this one? Googling...

-Travis

Comment

Found this:

Had this problem recently, make sure that the DNS of the Physical machine is setup correctly so that it knows the IP address of the target.
                    This is certainly the case as the source is on a different subnet and may not be able to see the target host machine the way things are configured. I'll work on that...

-Travis

EDIT: Hmmm.... I can ping the target ESX host by IP from the source machine, and I'm specifying everything by IP, so is that enough? If so, I'm still not sure where the error is coming from.

EDIT: Bah! To heck with it. I just moved it over to the "normal" subnet and will snatch it from there, then change it back to it's original subnet. Works for me!

EDIT: Gah! "Unable to to find server" That problem went away for me with the first machine once I reinstalled VCS on a new box. Then I moved machine 2 to this subnet and now I get this error.

EDIT: I'm out of ideas. I can ping in both directions between the source machine and the target ESX Host by IP and name. All firewalls are disabled. I've tried using both ESX Hosts as targets. I'm still getting the "Unable to find server."

EDIT: Success! The VCS machine had two NICs, one on each of my two subnets. The main one had full IP info including the default gateway. This is the subnet that the source and target machines are on. The second NIC has only an IP and mask defined. I disabled the second NIC and now the conversion is working.

THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in on this thread, I appreciate it a lot. I've been working 16-22 hours a day this week to get all of the things done that I needed to do and this was the last 'snag' in the process.

-Travis
                    Last edited by TravisB; 2nd October 2008, 08:36.

Comment

Sorry for my lack of replies. Apparently I was sleeping while you were toiling in misery. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                        Sorry for my lack of replies. Apparently I was sleeping while you were toiling in misery. Glad you got it all sorted out.
                        No worries! I appreciated all of the help!

I have a new project now that I need some help with, but I'll start a new thread.

-Travis

Comment

Oh, what have I done now.

I've just installed all of the latest upgrades for VirtualServer Center via the 'Update 3' CD.

Poof! No Consolidation option.

What did I do to screw this up? It figures that this happened because the reason I was doing the update was to be able to consolidate by IP instead of domain.

This is at a different site that the rest of the thread was based on.

-Travis

Comment

You didn't do anything to screw this up. This is a fairly common issue and I've seen it myself a few times.

Things to try in order (then open the VIC and look for the Consolidation button after each step. If you don't see it, proceed to next step):

1. Restart all VC services
                            2. Uninstall/Reinstall VIC
                            3. Reboot VC server
                            4. On VC server uninstall all VC components, reboot, reinstall all VC components

Optionally, you can also check the log files on the VC management server under docs & settings\all users\app data\vmware\ etc... see if you can get anywhere from those - I haven't had the patience in the past.

Jas

Comment

I love this forum. FAST responses, and good ones.

I went for broke and just rebooted it. Presto.

Thanks!

-Travis

Comment

Working...
                              X