Vmware teams and LAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware teams and LAN

This should be an easy question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I am setting up a computer security lab and I don't want anything to escape. While creating a team, VMWare put everything on a LAN, and it sound like what I am looking for. But how to I connect to any hosts on the LAN? My target is running a webserver, and other services, and I am suppose to discover what they are and break in.

How do I connect with the webserver? In the IP world I would use the IP, of course, but what about LANs? I am lost.

TIA

Bruce

Re: Vmware teams and LAN

Originally posted by BruceH View Post
    This should be an easy question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I am setting up a computer security lab and I don't want anything to escape.
    Lock the door when you leave. Ensure there are no gaps around it, which are big enough for the aforementioned "things" to get through.

While creating a team, VMWare put everything on a LAN, and it sound like what I am looking for. But how to I connect to any hosts on the LAN? My target is running a webserver, and other services, and I am suppose to discover what they are and break in.

How do I connect with the webserver? In the IP world I would use the IP, of course, but what about LANs? I am lost.

TIA

Bruce

LANs ARE in the IP world... because every host in a LAN has an IP Address (unless of course you're using the NetBEUI or IPX Protocols, in which case I take it back).

Just open a command prompt on the machines you want to connect to, and type "IPCONFIG". It will give you the machine's IP address - with which you can try to connect to it.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

# ifconfig -a
      eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:29:96:05
      BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:1368 (1.3 KiB) TX bytes:4720 (4.6 KiB)
      Interrup:18 Base address:0x1400

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I don't see an IP for eth0. I can not connect to any other host on this lan either.

Comment

That does not look like the IPCONFIG output of a Windows box... what OS is your guest running?

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Back Track 3 Linux

Comment

Then, you either need to:

1. Configure the Guests with a manual IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway each, all on the same network:

or

2. Configure all the Guests as DHCP Clients, and provide a DHCP server on the same LAN as them... whether virtual or physical.

It sounds like you need to do some research about 1. Networking in general, and 2. how it works in a virtual environment... before you begin using your lab properly.

Tom

Comment

I have been using host, bridged, etc for awhile now. However when I tried LAN, and got that ifconfig output, I was rather confused on what to do. I have been looking for all the VMware LAN, team information I could find and could not find the answer I was seeking.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X