No announcement yet.

OCX files, problem registering Dll's

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCX files, problem registering Dll's

I'm currently installing some software onto a VM running Windows 2003 server. I've hit a problem during the software install where it states it's trying to register searchcombocontrol.ocx and that it cannot find the file. I've manually navigated to the OCX file and tried to manually register it and it says "Specified Object could not be found", even though the damn file is there!

I've tried trawling through the web and have seen suggestions that it might be a registry permissions issue but to be honest guys i'm going round in circles on this on .

Any help much appreciated.

Ha ha Ha Ha you want what?

Re: OCX files, problem registering Dll's

What virtual software are you using so this thread can be moved to the appropriate Forum. Thanks.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Apologies were using VMWare and the software being installed on the vm's is code that's developed in house. The OCX in question has been in place from the day the VM was rolled out. This is just an update to the software but to get around this we had another piece of software to install that by chance had the same OCX to register and this worked fine. A permissions issue perhaps but were using the same admin user in both instances.

Thanks anyway.
      Last edited by Klunk; 8th October 2008, 15:20.

Moved to VMWare forum
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Apologies we're using VMWare
          That's a start - but VMWare is the name of a company and/or a technology. What product are you using?

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Problem has now been sorted by the installation of another "in house" dev app that had the same OCX to register. This was not a VMWare issue of any kind, it was a "Register OCX" problem that has now been resolved.

VMware has done this also with different versions/families of their own software.

VMware Server 1.0.x series and Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.x series both use some .DLLs that are the same name but different versions in their own respective installation directories (and guess what, they are incompatible with each other).

So what I ran into is having the VMware Server folder in the PATH environment variable will cause the Virtual Infrastructure Client to load VMware Server .DLLs and the VIC blows up, can't even log in. I had to remove the VMware Server folder from the PATH statement to resolve the issue which ticked me off because now to run VMware Server commands from the command prompt, I have to CD to the C:\Program Files\VMware\Server\blah blah blah\ folder first, or prefix my command with the path above. It makes the baby Jesus cry.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
     - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.