Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCB proxy server

Hi everyone

we are looking into using VCB and legato for our vmware backups.

Our Virtual Center runs on a dedicated windows server 2003 box.
    I was just wondering can the VCB proxy server be the same physical server, or will it need to be on a physical server of its own??

Your help is much appreciated

Re: VCB proxy server

The VCB Proxy can be either a phsyical server or a virtual server (VM), however, some argue that the proxy server cannot be a VM. That argument is unfounded. VMware VCB documentation supports a VM as a VCB Proxy.

The VMware Infrastructure 3 Advanced Technical Design Guide explains on page 38 that the VCB Proxy cannot be installed on the same server that is running VirtualCenter management server. I do not know where they are getting this information but I have an email into the author's asking because I'm not seeing this restriction in the official VMware VCB documentation. It is also worth noting that the same VI3ATDG book says the VCB proxy must be a physical server not a VM, which contradicts the VMware documentation.

Other helpful Petri links on VCB:
    http://www.petri.com/frequently-aske...sx-vcb-faq.htm
    http://www.petri.com/virtual-vmware-...backup-vcb.htm
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

thats great - thanks

Comment

Followup from the authors:

Author 1:
        This was based on the original reqs for VCB. Originally, installing on VC broke templating capabilities. (Overwrote template DLLs). Ill find out if this is still the case.

It MAY work, don't know that it is supported on VC server. Almost no one does it...

Should be able to use it on a VM.
        Author 2:
        I didn’t write that part. I believe the vcbMount is compatiable with the mounting service in VC...

As for being in a VM. Probably goes back to a limitation in Vi3.0.x. VCB now supports NAS (as from 3.5) with hidden switch on most of the commands. Remember when original conceived the VCB proxy had a FC device to off load the backup to dedicated server – so it’s probably still best practise to be physical – as a FC device cannot be presented (yet) directly to a VM...
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X