Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidation without a domain?

Hello,

I have licensing at one of my sites, but I've just set up the 60-day demo at another site and it will be about a month before we have licensing here.

I've inherited a DC that does not work, but I need to get it, and the few other machines, consolidated right away. Because the DC is not working correctly I can't use Consolidation as far as I can tell, and I can't use the converter because I don't have a license yet.

Ideas? I only have 3 machines that I need to Borg and I want to do it without having to use domain credentials.

Thanks for your time,

-Travis

Re: Consolidation without a domain?

You can use Consolidation without dependence of browsing a domain in VirtualCenter Update 2. In u2, they fixed it so you can specifiy a range of IP addresses or computer names as consolidation candidates.

You are free to use VMware Converter starter/basic edition free of charge. It's a free download. VMware Converter Enterprise is what costs money and is actually entitled to you if you have purchased VirtualCenter or the legacy P2V Assistant software from VMware. Converter Enterprise doesn't get you anything you need for the time being so feel free to use Converter starter/basic edition.

Happy Borging.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Excellent, thank you!

Just to be clear, the page I'm downloading from says:

"To use this product, you will need to redeem your license activation codes that you should have received by email during your purchase of VMware Infrastructure 3."
      Will this still update the trial version of VC Server?

Thanks again,

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by TravisB View Post
        Excellent, thank you!

Just to be clear, the page I'm downloading from says:

Will this still update the trial version of VC Server?

Thanks again,

-Travis
        Converter Starter Edition shouldn't ask you for any license code.

VMware Converter Starter Edition download link:
        http://info.vmware.com/content/VMware_Converter

VMware Converter Enterprise Edition download link:
        http://www.vmware.com/download/downl...oup=CONVERTER3
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jasonboche; 30th September 2008, 02:53.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Hmmm... same thing. It requires a license to convert it to an ESX Host VM.

Still in the same boat: I need to convert without having to specify a domain, and I don't have a license at this site yet.

Did I miss something?

-Travis

Comment

Let me see if I can approach this from a terminology standpoint.

Because the DC is not working correctly I can't use Consolidation as far as I can tell,
            Consolidation implies using the "special" integrated version of VMware Converter that ships with current versions VirtualCenter. It is in the 4.x revision series. It sounds like you are trying to use the VirtualCenter version of Converter (consolidation feature) which is prompting you for a license key which you do not have yet. Continue reading.

and I can't use the converter because I don't have a license yet.
            There also exists the original stand-alone version of VMware Converter (currently in the 3.x revision series 3.03 to be exact). VMware Converter comes in two flavors: Starter and Enterprise. Starter is a free download, contains 93% of the features that Enterprise has, and should have everything that you need to migrate your physical machines to virtual. Enterprise on the other had offeres slightly more features and costs $ to be licensed. You do not need this version to accomplish your current goals.

In summary, I think you are trying to use the Consolidation feature in the VC version of Converter when you should be using the standalone version of Converter Starter Edition. I have provided links above to download the standalone version of Starter Edition.

I hope that helps.

Jas

Comment

Hello,

Yes, this is an accurate description of my situation. The limitations I was having were that the older version of VC Server Consolidation needed a domain, and the stand alone converter won't convert to an ESX Host without a license. I was dead in the water.

VCServer Update 2 took care of things because it allows me to convert a machine by IP.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information!

I am about to post a new question that is really frustrating me all of the sudden....

-Travis

Comment

Working...
              X